Sign in to follow this  

is the crf 230f the right bike for me

Hey whats going on guys..I have been searching for a new bike for a while now, I have read, and read, and read up on the crf 230 and the crf 250x but i still cant figure out what to do any input would be helpfull.

I am 185lbs and I have almost 0 riding experiance, I owned a crf 250L for about 8 months. While i enjoyed the bike on the street (fmf q4 with header, power commander, intake mods, down a tooth in the front) every time i went offroad I hated it, I must have picked the bike up a million times, so I put a racetech suspesnion on and the next i went to work, then ended up tearing my bicep/shoulder that night. So i sold the bike since I was not going to be able to ride anywhere in the near future.

I am not the type to go blasting through the woods, or catch mega air.. maybe it was because I was new or because the bike never felt stable off road (im going to blame the indian and not the arrow on this) but, where does the crf 230f stand against the crf 250l in the woods in stock form? I live in CT and most trails are found by (accident) so they are rocky and unkept, but in the same token alot of the guy i work with will take trips to PA and go to some offroad parks up that way...will i regret the bike then? Im just looking to have fun with a bike that will last a while with regualr maintence, I am going to try and get my son a crf 70 for xmas since he has been talking about riding as well!

You couldn't find an easier bike than a crf230f for a teenager/adult to learn on;- mellow power delivery, excellent handling and low seat height will give you the best opportunity to come to grips with the skills required for riding in the dirt. As you improve you can even improve the bike to match your skill level. Dirt bikin' really is the best fun you can have with your clothes on. Enjoy!

Edited by Landerz

You will feel the difference between the two, the 230F is a better handling bike than the 250L off road.

The L and the F mean everything in your question. The 230F is like said above a great learning bike and very dependable. The 250X and 250R are more in the competition area and also need more engine maintenance.

Sounds like the CRF230F will suit your needs just fine. The CRF70F is in the same catagory as the 230F dependable and perfect for a beginner. However for your son compare the CRF100F to his size it maybe a "Better" bike to grow into.

The 250L is a 300pound pig,for off road.The 230 small,nimble easy to ride.Problem stock the worst suspension,of any dirt bike.I ever rode since 1972.Buy a 03/04 as new for 1500/1600$. So you have money,left over to change the suspension.Then great bike.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses guys..I went and checked out a 08 on Saturday but the i thought the bikes condition was not worth the price. When I rode it, it seemed perfect for what I am looking for, the guy did not mind if i went in the woods behind his house so off i went for a minute. As soon as the bike left the pavement it was easy to tell that it had a leg up on the 250L. With the power up mods im sure the bike will be even better. Now i just need to find one.

Thanks for the responses guys..I went and checked out a 08 on Saturday but the i thought the bikes condition was not worth the price. When I rode it, it seemed perfect for what I am looking for, the guy did not mind if i went in the woods behind his house so off i went for a minute. As soon as the bike left the pavement it was easy to tell that it had a leg up on the 250L. With the power up mods im sure the bike will be even better. Now i just need to find one.

You will be very surprised at what is lurking in that mild-mannered engine after you open it up and rejet it.  Enough power to warrant immediate suspension work, which can be accomplished at a very reasonable price.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Agreed the 230F will be a great improvement. I LOVE mine with engine mods and suspension set up HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,,,,,    I found a sweet deal on a 2015 Beta XTrainer and pulled the trigger.

The CRF230F is a fun woods bike. Its light and nimble to say the least. However it is not a power house. I recently sold my ZY250F and bought a Crf230F. I do not ride on the track or make those big jumps. I enjoy riding in the woods and exploring new trails. You can lug a CRF all day with no problems. You can even climb those steep hills. Thats what it was built to do. I get amazed at the people pouring tons on money into a crf230f to make it into a race bike. Why not save your money and buy a bike built to race from the factory. I looked long and hard to find an untouched CRF230F. These bikes in their stock configuration will last forever if properly maintained and not had the crap run out of it. If you want to race buy a race bike. If you want to ride in the woods and explore nature get a CRF230F. This is just my opinion.

• Like 2

The CRF230F is a fun woods bike. Its light and nimble to say the least. However it is not a power house. I recently sold my ZY250F and bought a Crf230F. I do not ride on the track or make those big jumps. I enjoy riding in the woods and exploring new trails. You can lug a CRF all day with no problems. You can even climb those steep hills. Thats what it was built to do. I get amazed at the people pouring tons on money into a crf230f to make it into a race bike. Why not save your money and buy a bike built to race from the factory. I looked long and hard to find an untouched CRF230F. These bikes in their stock configuration will last forever if properly maintained and not had the crap run out of it. If you want to race buy a race bike. If you want to ride in the woods and explore nature get a CRF230F. This is just my opinion.

The op said he is not racing,just easy play rider.Most all here dont race,or mod there 230s to race.We mod them,to do what we want.As long as its better then,any store bought bike.Just wondering where the racing came in.I agree with you,want to race buy race bike.With me owning over 20 dirt bikes,riding weekly.I have found out so many benefits,of owning.230f with mods.Reliable,super easy quick maintenance,most easy bike to start and go.Even with many dollars,to mod bike.Less then half the cost of new bike.

• Like 2