430 running hot

2015 430

Normally ride in Mi and bike got hot once or twice but not too bad.

I put evans coolant in and removed Tstat. Rode Harfield McCoy today and first slow trail she got hot. My gauges stop at 250 so I don't know how hot it actually is.

Question I have is will putting tstat back in or standard antifreeze make it run cooler. Sorta desperate, got two more days down here.

• Like 1

2015 430

I put evans coolant in and removed Tstat. Rode Harfield McCoy today and first slow trail she got hot. My gauges stop at 250 so I don't know how hot it actually is.

Question I have is will putting tstat back in or standard antifreeze make it run cooler. Sorta desperate, got two more days down here.

Are you close to a shop?.. see if can put on a ktm high press cap and maybe buy an overflow tank..motion pro has one usually at shops ..quick to put on in a pinch.. not much more to do other than that... later get a fan. It's worth it...It's the first thing I put on .. or one of the first things to put on.. 

Bike was spotless when I started. I drained evans out and put Maxima Coolanol in. Left tstat out, see what happens tomorrow.

Your bike will probably boil earlier...if same type terrain...well no boil with the evans.. but it gets real hot... hope it's not that bad depending on what you are riding for the next couple of days..try not to clutch as much.. that brings on more heat.. easier said than done on technical.. but if more flowing trails short shifting in higher gears helps..at least some.. See if you can find some water wetter additive..(royal purple for ex..or others) that was tested to keep coolant coolest in a dirtrider coolant test years ago. You might look up some overheating threads here for ideas..see if you can find something else.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

2015 430

How did you do the swap?? If you left water in the system it will steam out first couple of rides raising the temps.

evans doesn't make it run cooler. it just won't boil over as easy. do you have a radiator fan? next would probably be a high volume impeller. not much you can do on the road though

Some systems faster coolant flow will result in higher temps because the system needs time to absorb heat in the rads/surfaces. My 350rr always ran hot and boiled a couple of times using Engine Ice and I had a fan.

250 degrees way to hot? That's perfectly normal operating temperature in tight/slow terrain. 

Totally agree, even on cool days (65-75 degrees) I see 235-240+. 

I'm sorry for many that think 250 is hot has never had an accurate temp gauge on a H2o cooled standard, non street legal enduro bike used at walking speeds in the tight single track duties.

When my old Honda crf450x started puking water with a 2.0 cap, I knew it was getting a little hot, I just ran it, no biggie, without a accurate gauge ignorance is bliss.... And after many times opening it (crf450x) up she looked perfect inside....

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your problem. 250 degrees is way too hot. If it were my bike I wouldn't ride it until I got the overheating figured out.

If you stand by this you would never ride a Beta off road, actually any modern day 4t especially without a fan. Edited by weantright

OK. Enjoy your forum guys.

Im with you..I like the bike running as cool as possible..but 4 strokes just run hotter..I got a fan and other mods..for my 4 stroke and 2 stroke Beta ..don't run evans..but some just are ok running hotter and not boiling. It might cost more to get a fan etc..high pres.cap etc.. different strokes..

I took evans out and put Maxima Coolanol in. Temps dropped drastically. Maxima boils at 260 and only spit out coolant one time and that was during a very tall rocky hill climb. I'm going to call it fixed.

On a side note I took a tumble and got ejected off bike. Broke my wrist in 3 places and bike is pretty screwed up.

• Like 1

I took evans out and put Maxima Coolanol in. Temps dropped drastically. Maxima boils at 260 and only spit out coolant one time and that was during a very tall rocky hill climb. I'm going to call it fixed.

On a side note I took a tumble and got ejected off bike. Broke my wrist in 3 places and bike is pretty screwed up.

Wow, so sorry bout the wrist! 3 places, holy sh*t! What a f'ed up way to start the weekend. Wish a speedy recovery your way!

Glad you got your bike straightened away. 

Evans is not the only way to a "cool" engine...

Get better soon!

• Like 1

Bummer...heal fast!! Its a bad part of the game..sucks..but you'll be back..sorry to hear though Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Bummer...heal fast!! Its a bad part of the game..sucks..but you'll be back..sorry to hear though

Yes it sucks. Wasn't the first broken bone and I'm sure it won't be the last. It could have been worse. My buddy who was behind me said I was 12 ft in the air with my feet being the highest point and I landed on a mixture of rocks and hard pack dirt.

Yes it sucks. Wasn't the first broken bone and I'm sure it won't be the last. It could have been worse. My buddy who was behind me said I was 12 ft in the air with my feet being the highest point and I landed on a mixture of rocks and hard pack dirt.

whoa!!!!!!crazy!!!! I tone that throttle down..better to just drop the bike there..I know easy to say now. ..but just an effort to limit hurtin.