Sign in to follow this  

2016 450 sx-f cold start procedure ?

Following cold start procedure from the KTM video my bike will start after 5 or 6 times at 70 degrees ( full charge from lithium charger) Buddies 350 starts first time. Just wondering how many times other people are having to do this?

Make sure your idle is at 2250-2300rpm. These bikes are really sensitive to idle rpm hot and cold.

And when you get sick of the tiny battery, put the powerparts or xc-f battery tray and a 9 or 14 amp shorai.

This completely eliminates the battery warm up bullcrap...

Just my .02

Mine takes about 3-4 at 60 degrees

I've only had mine a week, but I may be on to something. If I just tap the start button, which just bumps the motor over a little, I then hear the fuel pump run. It usually fires right up the next time I crank it, with or without pushing the cold start. Its almost like it builds up the fuel pressure. It will be getting down into the 30s this weekend, so I'll report back.

It took 3 to 5 five second cranks to get mine started cold this weekend. Starts first time after that. This is the only thing I don't like about the bike. I'll report back if I figure it out.

Bump the button once

Wait 5 seconds 

Now start

Repeat the bump more than once for more priming, if that's what you need, waiting 3-5 sec between bumps..

..the pump has to prime

...and use the high idle position even if not cold out.

Some of the little tricks seem to help a little bit sometimes. My bike consistently starts on the 4th try now. The battery has to build enough heat to get power to turn the bike over quick enough to start. You can give the battery a little extra power with some other source just for the hell of it and it will start the first time. I'm willing to bet the 250 and 350 start easier then the 450's .

Larger battery tray $25

Larger battery $125 (already had one)

Bike starting at 41 degrees in less than 2 secs. in 1 attempt... Priceless

• Like 1

I have a 9 and 14 amp larger size shorai from the my old bikes. I used the 9 because it's lighter, but heavier than the 16 sxf oem. The oem on the 16 sxf is a 2 amp (and physically way smaller) and I'm not aware of a higher amp 16 oem size battery other than taking the 16 battery apart and replacing the internals to make it a 10 amp. Maybe there is/will be a better oem size replacement soon??? The old style battery is larger and won't fit in the 16 sxf tray, you need to put the xc-f or powerparts tray in to use the old size.