Sign in to follow this  

How did you get injured? A poll to see what is most dangerous.

How did you get injured? A poll to see what is most dangerous.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What were you doing last time you were injured enough to require medical attention? And what was the injury?

• MX/SX - Another rider hit me or I hit another rider
    • MX/SX - Jumping
    • MX/SX - Struck an object
    • MX/SX - General (specify what happened in your vote)
    • Trail/XC - Another rider hit me or I hit another rider
    • Trail/XC - Jumping
    • Trail/XC - Struck an object
    • Trail/XC - General (specify what happened in your vote)

a. MX/SX - Another rider hit me or I hit another rider

b. MX/SX - Jumping

c. MX/SX - Struck an object

d. MX/SX - General (specify what happened in your vote)

e. XC/Trail - Another rider hit me or I hit another rider

f. XC/Trail - Jumping

g. XC/Trail - Struck an object

h. XC/Trail - General (specify what happened in your vote)

I'll start:

h. My nephew tore his ACL in a rutted hill climb. Stalled it partway up and put his leg down on the downhill side of the bike.

Edited by LSHD

a. MX/SX - Another rider hit me or I hit another rider

b. MX/SX - Jumping

c. MX/SX - Struck an object

d. MX/SX - General (specify what happened in your vote)

e. XC/Trail - Another rider hit me or I hit another rider

f. XC/Trail - Jumping

g. XC/Trail - Struck an object

h. XC/Trail - General (specify what happened in your vote)

I'll start:

h. My nephew tore his ACL in a rutted hill climb. Stalled it partway up and put his leg down on the downhill side of the bike.

a, sort of. Noob in front of me didn't hold his line while he doubled and I tripled, mashed brakes as to not cream him, cased the hell the out of the face, herniated 3 discs...

1. Head-on collision on a trail. (open femur fracture).

2. riding like a dumbass in whoops in a race. (collarbone)

3. Put a foot down awkwardly in a race. (acl)

4. tripped over my dogs. (severed tendon and nerves in finger)

i've come to conclude that the 2 most dangerous things in life are:

a) bad luck, and

b ) acting like a dumbass.

Edited by llamaface
  • Like 3

Mine is option "I": a cager on the street. Guy didn't see me and turned right in front of me.

Trail/XC-Struck an Object.  2 weeks ago, hit a huge root in the trail at high speed, broken wrist in 2 places and screwed up back and ribs.

how do you get injured from weight lifting?

Poor form or attempting to lift too much but many things can happen when lifting.

Poor form or attempting to lift too much but many things can happen when lifting.

Yes, I know that. I'm a powerlifter. I was asking clutch the exact reason. To me, someone should never get injured lifting weights. Lifting too much weight til failure is not a bad thing, as long as your form is fine. I've never been injured weightlifting and have some decent numbers.

• Like 1

My son, November 2014, came up short on a double - concussion / ambulance ride.

Me, November 2014 (not the same day!), came up short on a double - torn rotator cuff / surgery.

Me, September 2015, screwed up a rhythm section (jumping) - mild concussion, smashed finger. 

Me, October 2015, came up short on a double - back & rib injuries.

My son, November 2015, came up short on a large table top, bounced over the bars - shoulder and stomach bruises / scrapes.

It was a rough 12 months for us  :( .

However, we've both ended the season healthy and through trial and error, learned a lot about jumping  :D  .

My son, November 2014, came up short on a double - concussion / ambulance ride.

Me, November 2014 (not the same day!), came up short on a double - torn rotator cuff / surgery.

Me, September 2015, screwed up a rhythm section (jumping) - mild concussion, smashed finger.

Me, October 2015, came up short on a double - back & rib injuries.

My son, November 2015, came up short on a large table top, bounced over the bars - shoulder and stomach bruises / scrapes.

It was a rough 12 months for us :( .

However, we've both ended the season healthy and through trial and error, learned a lot about jumping :D .

How did you keep your wife from freaking out? My son got a concussion last fall, now just broke his clavicle and got another concussion. (Neither crash really his fault) and the wife wants us to quit!

How did you keep your wife from freaking out? My son got a concussion last fall, now just broke his clavicle and got another concussion. (Neither crash really his fault) and the wife wants us to quit!

The concussions are the thing. But the more frequently you get hurt the more they get used to it. Haha

I have to say - she's been very understanding about our injuries, and knows that they're (sometimes) a part of the sport.  But I think her understanding would only go so far if we were to get more seriously injured.

Sadly, she doesn't seem as concerned about me when I get hurt  :confused:  :smirk: .  But I could tell she was pretty nervous about my son when I called her to tell her that I was following him in the ambulance to the hospital.

The concussions are definitely much more of a concern; she'd probably want us to quit if my son suffered another severe one, and I know my son would not want to stop riding.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that...

The concussions are the thing. But the more frequently you get hurt the more they get used to it. Haha

Used to it?  No way with my wife, how about she won't let me forget how much the doctor bills are...almost daily.

Used to it? No way with my wife, how about she won't let me forget how much the doctor bills are...almost daily.

Haha my wife's a saint!

I have to say - she's been very understanding about our injuries, and knows that they're (sometimes) a part of the sport. But I think her understanding would only go so far if we were to get more seriously injured.

Sadly, she doesn't seem as concerned about me when I get hurt :confused::smirk: . But I could tell she was pretty nervous about my son when I called her to tell her that I was following him in the ambulance to the hospital.

The concussions are definitely much more of a concern; she'd probably want us to quit if my son suffered another severe one, and I know my son would not want to stop riding. Hopefully it doesn't come to that...

Yeah, my wife cares way more about the kids than me. She said I could go ride and kill myself, but she was going to protect our son.

• Like 2

Yeah, my wife cares way more about the kids than me. She said I could go ride and kill myself, but she was going to protect our son.

How old is your son?  Did the crashes affect his desire to ride or ride aggressively?

My son is 15 and since he can't remember the crash, he's got no worries ha ha.  He also seems to think that if he gets hurt, he'll get to miss a lot of school, so he sees an upside there  :rolleyes:  :D .

My son is 14. Yeah, he's not scared. He doesn't remember the crashes. Both times even while beat up keeps talking about riding.