Sign in to follow this  

2015 500exc WILL NOT REV

Bike ran perfectly halfway to work until I stopped at a red light. Turned green, I took off and it had enough power to roll me halfway through the intersection. It almost felt like it ran out of gas (full tank). The bike never died, but would not rev much past idle without having a wierd bogging sound. I had to push the bike out of traffic to a nearby parking lot. The bike will start instantly with no problems even cold and idle ok on its own. Inline fuel filter is clean (replaced a few rides ago) later I pulled the spark plug and it appears to have a layer of white residue that is about to flake off. Lean condition due to clogged fuel injector? Bike has about 800 miles and 25ish hours if I remember correctly. I have had surging issues while in mid throttle, but that hasent happened in a while. Plan to replace spark plug when one comes in. Any suggestions? Pictures don't do much justice, appears white on the tip, white/tan on the center and wet/black on the threads. Reshimmed my valves (ran great before and After that) All stock.

1446768468497-1943900289.jpg

1446768673523-1447388868.jpg

Bike ran perfectly halfway to work until I stopped at a red light. Turned green, I took off and it had enough power to roll me halfway through the intersection. It almost felt like it ran out of gas (full tank). The bike never died, but would not rev much past idle without having a wierd bogging sound. I had to push the bike out of traffic to a nearby parking lot. The bike will start instantly with no problems even cold and idle ok on its own. Inline fuel filter is clean (replaced a few rides ago) later I pulled the spark plug and it appears to have a layer of white residue that is about to flake off. Lean condition due to clogged fuel injector? Bike has about 800 miles and 25ish hours if I remember correctly. I have had surging issues while in mid throttle, but that hasent happened in a while. Plan to replace spark plug when one comes in. Any suggestions? Pictures don't do much justice, appears white on the tip, white/tan on the center and wet/black on the threads. Reshimmed my valves (ran great before and After that) All stock.

Man, I hate to say this, but that sounds an awful lot like my situation, but my bike wouldn't start. See my post on bad injector.

I don't think that you're plug color is that bad at all.

Has it continued to not rev?

Man, I hate to say this, but that sounds an awful lot like my situation, but my bike wouldn't start. See my post on bad injector.

I don't think that you're plug color is that bad at all.

Has it continued to not rev?

So far it won't rev, but I haven't had a chance to change much. How do I view your post? I've searched injector topics, and haven't found much. Maybe I'm impatient when searching...

looks like ash deposits, Id say its coming from oil use. That's a very dirty plug for a fuel injected stock motor, I agree go for combustion pressure issues, with leak down tester.  If you don't have one, probably cheaper just to bring to a shop for that specific procedure.  Then go from there.

With a bike thats has 25hrs i would take to the dealer, Thinking maybe a pressure issue maybe test the fuel pump. 

Bypass/remove the quick disconnect from the tank and just use a piece of tubing to merge the two hoses and try it. Wondering if the QD is bad.

With a bike thats has 25hrs i would take to the dealer, Thinking maybe a pressure issue maybe test the fuel pump.

I would take it to the dealer but I'm in the Navy, long work weeks. And there are no nearby KTM dealers.

I don't see how it could be compression related due to low hours and and amazing power at the begining of the ride...

My first thought was it's getting enough fuel to idle but as soon as I give it throttle, it can't keep up with demand and therefore only gets more air. Would running lean cause the plug to turn white/horrible bogging? New plug comes in tomorrow, I'll replace that and try cleaning my injector?

If it were a compression issue I would expect it to not idle and run the worst at lower rpm. It sounds fuel or electrical to me.

Yes being lean can cause bogging and a white plug.

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

Agree with Sirthumpalot.. I know it is a whole different machine, but my buddies Raptor 700 had a similar issue. It would start fine, idle great, but as soon as you give it throttle, it

would start cutting out and bogging like it had a miss or something. Could not go above idle at all!!  His battery was so weak, it had enough juice to idle but not enough to run

normal.  Charged it up, and runs perfect now!  I would look into that maybe...

So far it won't rev, but I haven't had a chance to change much. How do I view your post? I've searched injector topics, and haven't found much. Maybe I'm impatient when searching...

This is my post:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1151338-injector-issue-wont-start/

Are you under the 6 months?  I know that you said that taking it to the dealer isn't an option, but if it's under the 6 months, you HAVE to find a way to get it there.  Let them take care of it!!!

I spent a LOT of money trying to figure out what the issue was, using "logic" to solve the issue, and everything I tried did not work.  It wasn't until I took it to the dealer, that the real issue was figured out.  I would have never thought to test the leakdown.  Wasn't even on my radar....

6-months? I thought it was 30-days. 6-months is good.

and Ive seen them warranty exc's 8 months out,  you should be good if its a parts failure as far as warranty.  exc's  are 6 month,, xcw 30days.

Edited by Spud786

and Ive seen them warranty exc's 8 months out, you should be good if its a parts failure as far as warranty. exc's are 6 month,, xcw 30days.

Yeah 6 months and my dealer also told me they've had Ktm warranty out as far as a year for exc. Of course, they also said the bikes they covered that long were fully serviced by Ktm dealers at all service intervals perfectly. Kind of like ktm supports the owner that supports them and their product. That's how it was explained to me.

They replaced my speedo at 8 months out, I just had to swap them old for new one and did it myself. Actually didn't swap till 10 months out.

However there was someone still under warranty that had the bike blow up, like at 135 hours , they wouldnt cover cause the crank and piston was due by the book,  and considered normal maintenance.

25 hours shouldn't be an issue, as long as not stale fuel cloggage issue

Edited by Spud786