Sign in to follow this  

Boyseen Ignition cover

I ordered a Boyseen Ignition cover on the 31st of Oct. and it came yesterday.  I just went down in the Basement to put it on since I'm waiting for my cylinder to get back from Eric Gorr.   I went to put it on and the inside of the cover would hit the Fly Wheel.   I got to looking at the Stock cover and the Boyseen cover and the stock cover is dished out deeper than the Boyseen one by 3 or 4 mm's.

My YZ250 is a 2015 model and Boyseen web-site just gave info up to a 2014 YZ250.  I wouldn't think that Yamaha would have changed the depth of the stock cover would they?

However I do have a GTYR 8.4oz FWW on mine.  But haven't put the stock FWW in to check if the Boyseen cover would fit.   Think the GTYR FWW sticks out a tad farther an not letting the Boyseen cover fit?

I would think that no matter what fly wheel weight you put in that any after market cover would work. 

If you are using a FWW with an aftermarket cover, you need a spacer. You should be able to purchase one anywhere that sells fly wheels weights

Edited by desertbound1024

I just ordered a dang spacer from Stealthy. There dang gone shipping for UPS ground is $17 an something. I just used the Fixed rate for $8.00. For this.......what ever you ordered had to be able to fit in a Flat rate envelope. If it doesn't then they will adjust shipping cost.

I'm guessing that spacer should fit in a Flat rate envelope. If it is one one those brown ones that is lined with bubble wrap.

I have same cover and flywheel. I just stacked up a couple of gaskets. either 2 or could be three, would have to check.

I have same cover and flywheel. I just stacked up a couple of gaskets. either 2 or could be three, would have to check.

I tried two and it wasn't even close.  It would take bout 5.  I just went ahead an ordered the spacer from Stealthy. 

I tried two and it wasn't even close. It would take bout 5. I just went ahead an ordered the spacer from Stealthy.

Wonder if perhaps when they machine the face of the cover there is some variation. Boyesen are awesome to deal with, could be worth an email if it bothers you. I tried to keep mine minimal so I had the maximum clearance to the gear lever. Mine took a real beating in a crash earlier this year when the bike cartwheeled and landed on its side on a rock. Prevented that impact going directly onto the crank/flywheel. Clutch side I had a carbon fibre cover, cracked that one and luckily basket is undamaged, boyesen on is going back on that side now as well.