Sign in to follow this  

I could use a little help kitting out my DRZ.

I'm obviously new here, and it's unlikely I'll become a frequent poster, but I am smart enough to know TT is the place to come for DRZ information. 

I recently picked up a 2012 S model with 1400 miles. I was fortunate that it was already rigged with a Happy Trail tail rack, a Fisher 12" wide and +1" tall seat. It also had the pegs upgraded to pivots and had mirror extenders installed. Overall it was an almost new bike with exactly the stuff I would have had to buy. 

Since I got it a couple weeks ago, I've added a Baja Works shield, Renthal CR High bars, and the Happy Trail SU side racks. I just did a little three day 1000 mile trip through southeast Ohio and West Virginia with Teton panniers taken off one of my other bikes, and I was incredibly pleased with the little rig's performance and comfort.  For this bike however I've ordered a set of mid-sized Nomada panniers. I like the look of them, I'm encouraged they used to build for Touratech, and the price is very good. I've never actually seen a pair in person, so time will tell if they live up to expectations. 

I've a Tonn's skid plate incoming, and that brings me to why I am here. I want to further protect that engine. What I'd really like to find is a set of guards like the SWmotech ones I have on my KLR. I'm usually a pretty good internet researcher, and I tend to stay current on whats available on the aftermarket when it comes to adventure touring gear, but I'll be darned if I can find much of anything. I saw that TCI at one point made their skid plate and engine guards for the DRZ, but it's no longer listed.  I would have considered that a viable option since I have that setup on a TW200 and like it . 

So, if anyone could direct me to some options I'd appreciate it.  I did see that there are glue on case protector discs, that seems a bit short of the mark to me, but heck, this is new territory. 

Thanks for what you can offer. 

• Like 1

"Little 3 day 1000 mile trip" Wow! Nice

Kinda hard to get all puffy chested about it when two guys in their mid-60's did 825 miles of it with me on their little TW200s.  :rolleyes:

While I'm hanging out here hoping for some suggestions, I'll see if I can learn to post a picture properly. 

Here's the same panniers at the gas station in Matagami, Quebec on a little TW200.  And another as I get ready to head up the James Bay Road this August.

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

Edit: Well, I see I still have some learning to do to get them more than thumbnails.  :wacko:

Edited by El Borak
  • Like 1

I would do the following:

Add a long range fuel range. This will get you > 150 miles per tank, helps when you get lost in the

woods and you are suffering fro range anxiety !!!

You may want have you suspension checked out - I did this and totally transformed the bike

Take a look at BajaDesigns and think about replacing the original headlight - I have a 7" headlight

which really lights up the woods at nights 

otherwise - have fun out there.

Gerry

I would do the following:

Add a long range fuel range. This will get you > 150 miles per tank, helps when you get lost in the

woods and you are suffering fro range anxiety !!!

You may want have you suspension checked out - I did this and totally transformed the bike

Take a look at BajaDesigns and think about replacing the original headlight - I have a 7" headlight

which really lights up the woods at nights 

otherwise - have fun out there.

Gerry

All good suggestions Gerry. And two of the three are under consideration. Like many distance travellers,  I try very hard not to ride after dark, so the headlight isn't a huge concern to me. As for fuel, as you can see from the TW pictures, I'm used to carrying Rotopax when I need more range, but I admit the 28L Safari tank is on my list when the discretionary funding becomes available. As for suspension, I have it cranked up at the moment, and have to say it wasn't too bad for stock. I don't have enough time on the bike yet to make any definitive calls on that yet, but it is also on the list for consideration since I have had a great many bikes that as you noted, experienced a sea change in performance with  aftermarket  suspension. 

At this point in the game though, once I get the Tonn's on, my largest concern is protecting the engine since I have read (and believe) that the cases are very thin, and I have a tendency to go places where that could  be a distinct issue for me. 

All good suggestions Gerry. And two of the three are under consideration. Like many distance travellers,  I try very hard not to ride after dark, so the headlight isn't a huge concern to me. As for fuel, as you can see from the TW pictures, I'm used to carrying Rotopax when I need more range, but I admit the 28L Safari tank is on my list when the discretionary funding becomes available. As for suspension, I have it cranked up at the moment, and have to say it wasn't too bad for stock. I don't have enough time on the bike yet to make any definitive calls on that yet, but it is also on the list for consideration since I have had a great many bikes that as you noted, experienced a sea change in performance with  aftermarket  suspension. 

At this point in the game though, once I get the Tonn's on, my largest concern is protecting the engine since I have read (and believe) that the cases are very thin, and I have a tendency to go places where that could  be a distinct issue for me. 

I went to the Tonn's website and it says they are closed, what's with that?

protecting the engine since I have read (and believe) that the cases are very thin

Forgot about this one - I added TT case savers after I dropped my bike on a rock and damaged the 

side case. I've dropped the bike hundreds (???) of time since then with no problems.

I try very hard not to ride after dark

Just wait..... riding in the woods at night is a sensational experience - there is usually nobody out there and you 

have the whole place to yourself. It's intoxicating....

BTW - when I mentioned check the suspension, I went to a renowned suspension guy and told him my

requirements  - he set it up for me (not 100% what he did) but it totally transformed to bike and made it

a joy to ride.

protecting the engine since I have read (and believe) that the cases are very thin

Forgot about this one - I added TT case savers after I dropped my bike on a rock and damaged the 

side case. I've dropped the bike hundreds (???) of time since then with no problems.

I try very hard not to ride after dark

Just wait..... riding in the woods at night is a sensational experience - there is usually nobody out there and you 

BTW - when I mentioned check the suspension, I went to a renowned suspension guy and told him my

requirements  - he set it up for me (not 100% what he did) but it totally transformed to bike and made it

a joy to ride.

absolutely agree. 

writing like that would be a niec read for some epic ride reports. go for it :)

While I'm hanging out here hoping for some suggestions, I'll see if I can learn to post a picture properly. 

Here's the same panniers at the gas station in Matagami, Quebec on a little TW200.  And another as I get ready to head up the James Bay Road this August.

📎IMG_0041.JPG

📎IMG_0042.JPG

Edit: Well, I see I still have some learning to do to get them more than thumbnails.  :wacko:

That TW200 is well sorted,  can the bike maintain 70-75mph freeway speeds?

The DRZ FAQ at the top of the page is a great source. It has information on upgrades to prevent damage to the bike. Case savers, radiator guards, and hand guards will help in a tip over. A manual cam chain tensioner will also help with long term wear on the cam chain. Everything you need is at the Thumpertalk store. Greasing the rear linkage, swingarm bolt, and steering head bearings is also a good idea. They are almost dry from the factory. There are also internal parts that can come loose and damage the engine. This is covered in the FAQ on the "Loctite Fix".

That TW200 is well sorted,  can the bike maintain 70-75mph freeway speeds?

It cannot. It will go 70 without a headwind and on the level. I keep it off the freeways. Actually I keep all of my bikes off the freeways. I ride two lane pave, gravel roads, fire roads and the like. That was part of the challenge in riding it from Indiana to Radisson/James Bay. Approximately 3700 miles in 7 riding days on that little rig...and never a freeway or interstate.

• Like 2

That's humorous, if you only knew. I was having those experiences almost 50 years ago. That being said, I still want some engine guards if they exist.  :rolleyes:

Edited by El Borak

Thank you for pointing me to that link, i don't know why but on their home page it says they are closed.   :facepalm:

Well, I guess the answer will be if the one I ordered arrives. In all honesty, I never saw the home page until you pointed it out. I arrived at the page I linked by a google search, and ordered from there. The paypal was active and took my payment with no issues. However, I have not received a shipping notice yet. I rode down to the "Loose Nut Dual Sport Ride" over the weekend (DRZs were well represented) and fully expected to have a shipping notice when I checked my email Monday morning, but didn't. I'm still hoping to get the skid plate...time will tell I guess. My hope is that the internet sales is still alive and well and that the "closed" notice related to a brick and mortar operation. If that isn't the answer, then I have no idea why they wouldn't take down the site and deactivate paypal. I will keep you posted.