Sign in to follow this  

How to convince my dad that dirt bikes aren't more dangerous that ATV's?

I've been riding ATV's for 7 years now and I've always been interested in dirt bikes since i was young. My dad has never let me ride a gas powered dirt bike  :cry: But i've had a lot of fun on my electric dirt bike, mountain bike, and mini motorcycle. I would get a bike, but the only problem is my dad (because of his experiences with dirt bikes in the past) is anti-dirt bike. He always tells me that dirt bikes are fun until you crash on one. He has told me stories of all his crashes, and one of them involves attempting to jump a curb with a dirt bike and scraping up his ankle on the pavement   :facepalm: Ouch! Sounds like that wasn't the smartest idea, but it was the 80's, so that explains a lot  :p Anyway, whenever i talk about or mention dirt bikes,he always brings up the argument of "You can crash and get really hurt on them because they fall over more easily which is why atv's are safer. And if a dirt bike falls over on you it can burn your leg." Stuff similar to that. I know he doesn't want me to get hurt, but he let's me ride 49cc mini motorcycles, electric dirt bikes, mountain bikes, ATV's, UTV's, Go karts, and sees that i'm a responsible rider, but he won't let me ride dirt bikes what so ever. I feel like it's more emotionally charged due to his past, than it is factual and rational. I do have a friend who has broken his arm from riding, but you can be injured on both and saying one is safer than the other isn't necessarily a fair statement when it can all come down to the rider and riding conditions. Right now i ride a 90cc ATV, and in a year or two my dad's letting me upgrade to his 250cc ATV (which i've ridden before, and is nice, but a lot higher and feels more tipsy and prone to flipping which is scary, especially when going up or down a hill with sudden drops. I would be bound for getting stuck under the 500 pound machine if i ever flipped.) Then once my dad gives me that ATV, he will have to buy another ATV for himself, which would be very difficult to haul 4 ATV's and or a UTV all be pulled by one truck. The previous owner of our trailer actually rode a dirt bike, so near the rear side of the trailer there is some wooden boards where you line up the wheels of your dirt bike and put a strap over it, which is a vacant space waiting for my possible future dirt bike  :goofy: Anyway, what can i do to persuade my dad to let me get a dirt bike? so he can keep his ATV, and i can be happy and venture on my preferred ride? Thank you guys for your help, and if i said something ignorant or misinformed, please correct me. Politely.

My friend recently made the switch from riding quads and dirt bikes to only dirt bike. He almost flipped his quad by getting stuck on a small branch and he just didn't like them as much... Plus we ride rocky terrain so it's easier to maneuver with a bike.

Anyways, he said that he's more worried about injuries on quads because you don't fall off a quad as much, but when u do it's more dangerous and the machine is much bigger.

I think your argument about hauling the bikes and quads is valid so that may work.

What usually works for my dad is to let him try something once and he's hooked rather than trying to explain stuff to him. In your situation it's different because he has had a bad experience but if you show some that you are responsible he might budge.

I'm not sure if you pay for your quads and stuff like that but offering to pay half or pay for gas or something like that (if it's within reason for your situation) might just tip the scales in your favor. I got my parents to allow my to buy a dirt bike because I said they wouldn't be involved in any of it and I ride with other people so they know I would be safe about it

Here's a some more good reasons. Dirt bikes are lighter and smaller so they are easier to load and haul, dirtbikes are narrow, and you can pick your path better than on a quad around rocky/rough terrain, also if you meet oncoming traffic on a narrow road, they are way easier to get around. Dirtbikes make easily 1/10 the dust that a quad does, which makes riding trails much more pleasant for everyone. Also riding a dirt bike is more proactive, so it may be harder to ride, but it is a fun challenge that allows you to build skills that apply to hundreds of things

Have home lie down at the bottom of some stairs. First, throw a dirtbike on him. Second, toss a quad on him. Even without the regulation beercooler on it, he'll notice a difference.

• Like 2

Google ATV injury or fatality statistics. It may make your dad reconsider letting you ride anything though. Any recreational device whith wheels is a ticket to an ambulance ride. I prefer dirtbikes, though because they never crush me to death. Best bet is usually to listen to pops until you're like 25.

Tell him you will be riding a "dirt" bike on the "dirt" and not "pavement" like he did.  Tell him he is a good dad for caring and I will learn from your mistakes.  Yeah, I am a former Expert BMXer from the 80's and a current father, and have took many spills on the dirt as well as the pavement as a teenager.  Two different animals.  My mom was the same way, she supported my BMX but would never get me a Dirt Bike.  Took me till I was 45 to get my first Dirt bike.  Hopefully you don't have to wait that long  :ride:

Edited by MPDano

The are both dangerous. Each has it own set of unique risk factors.

AGATT

You do not have to crash, ever, if you do not want to. Instead you build a skill set and stay within your ability. This does not mean you go slow, it means you work to ber a better rider and slowly increase speed as ability improves. Most that get hurt do so because thy hop on and pin it. Then gush how they 'barely survived.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your replies, i really do appreciate it. My friend is going to let me try out his 125 the next time i go to his house, so i'll be anxiously waiting for that. I do think that i'm going to have a talk with my dad about how getting into biking would help my skills and make me more aware and understand my limits better than i would on a quad. These skills i learn could also transfer over to when i ride ATV's. I'll explain to him as long as your a responsible rider (which i am) i should not get seriously hurt by making stupid mistakes, say, he did as a beginner.

sounds like dad never did figure out how to ride one well....and is afraid you might.  Life has all kinds of these things. Go learn to ride a bike

• Like 1

Tell him that if he doesn't let you ride a dirt bike you will inevitably become gay, because the gayness is in the quads. :ride:

• Like 2

Tell him that if he doesn't let you ride a dirt bike you will inevitably become gay, because the gayness is in the quads. :ride:

:lol:

Maybe i should give it a try  :lol:

Edited by Zach121

When you tip over a dirt bike it doesn't chase you done and mash you into the ground with 400lbs of metal. A quad will do that to you while barely moving on an incline. A dirt bike , you can tip over and just step away. My off-road experience has taught me that dirt bikes are much safer than atvs. So much safer it's silly IMO. They are lighter, more Maneuverable, don't chase you usually , and can soak up weird impacts wayyy better than quads. As with either a lack of common sense or realistic skill assessment can end a good time quickly.

I agree with a lot of your points. In my experience with mountain bikes and my electric dirt bike, when trail riding if i were to loose control of one, i'd probably pick a bike compared to an ATV. I could easily stop or bail if i wanted to. I'd most likely get hurt, but i could still bail like nothing. If i was on my atv, i'd be relying on my brakes to save me, but with little to no traction, sometimes your screwed and you have to hold on for your life. I think this is a valid point i could bring up.