Sign in to follow this  

2004 Cr85r Help please! - Won't start

Hi everybody. This is my first post here. (I am 14 years old btw)

So I was camping in August and I was on a hard trail ride with my dad. During the ride my clutch (I think) started smoking, so I would back off and let it sit for a sec. It didn't have any problems with that. Then we rode back to our camp site without any problems. I let it sit for about an hour or 2 and then we are headed to the general store and it died. I was coasting down a hill to flat for like 300 yards and it wouldn't go. It sounded like it had to much fuel or something so I slowed down and pulled in the clutch to get it revved up and it wouldn't rev and then stalled right there. (I have the whole thing on my GoPro if I need to go watch it to get a sound reference). We kicked it for like an hour with no luck. We put in a new plug just in case and still no luck. It still makes a spark. Every few kicks there would be a burst of exhaust - idk if that's relevant or not. It is due for a muffler packing though. The bike is too small now so I need to get it fixed so i can sell it. We don't have a ton of time lately, but it has to get fixed sooner or later, so I guess I'm just asking for a list of possible things that could be wrong with it, so my dad and I can try and fix it. And some recommendations for what to do. Thanks everybody!!

I have looked online and I think we might want to check the reeds.

Welcome! Check the reeds like you said, but I would drain the fuel into a different can, including from the bowl and try if with fresh fuel and the new plug you put in. If the fuel is not the problem, clean the carb, and let us know what jets are in it. If cleaning the carb doesn't work, check the spark by kicking it ( by hand may work on an 85) while holding the plug against the cylinder ( don't get shocked). Good spark, good fuel, clean carb, intact reeds and still no start; check compression. Let us know how that goes. If everything mentioned seems fine, perhaps the cdi has quit.

@clappedoutkx

We leaned the carb and the jet is fine. We have been rotating a few different jets to see which works best in the mountains. The spark plug still makes a spark. Reeds are intact. We don't have a compression gauge... Is there another way to check that? I'm not familiar with what the cdi is. Thanks again!

Pull the plug out and shine a light toward the exhaust side. Sometimes you can see a wrecked piston without pulling the head. Pull the exhaust header off and look at the piston through the exhaust port. Also, what size are the jets you are using and what is the temp and altitude? Have you tried starting fluid? (Don't spray it on the filter)

@clappedoutkx

Thanks for the input. I will ask my dad what size jets are currently in. We did whatever the manual said to do. We live at about 5,400 feet and the camp site was about 10,500 feet. The current jets are the one for 10,000 and above. I will have to check the piston (that would be a complete pain in the butt if that's the problem). I will talk to my dad and check the piston when he gets home from work. Then I will get back to you on the latest.