Sign in to follow this  

Sheared bolt fixes

The bolt that holds my gear changer in just sheared off, but it didn't go nice and flat, its kinda on a slant so when i tried to drill it out it didn't go in nice. So i have an idea that id like to see what people think of it, what if i fill it with jb weld let it dry then centre punch that and drill/tap. Does this sound like a good idea?

That might work if you want to let it sit overnite to try it. Or maybe you could take a sawzall and get into the crack of the shifter and cut the bolt. Then the shifter would probably come off and it would be much easier to work on or replace

• Like 2

That might work if you want to let it sit overnite to try it. Or maybe you could take a sawzall and get into the crack of the shifter and cut the bolt. Then the shifter would probably come off and it would be much easier to work on or replace

This is your best bet. If it's bad it's not that hard of a job to cut it and put a new shift shaft in. It's easier to get to and replace then most people imagine

On my bike the bolt actually screws into the shift shaft, 2001 ktm 125

New shift shaft, should just slide in and out behind the clutch basket, lean it over, take the whole right side cover off (more than just the clutch cover) clutch components out, slide shift shaft out, slide new one in

To me the ease of fixing it that way is worth more than the time it takes to fight that bolt just to mess up the end of the shift shaft like I didn't want to, then end up replacing it anyways :lol:

ok, i might do that

I would do some research as to what it takes specifically with your bike. It might be a little more involved and there are some tiny parts (shift detent springs) and such, but overall if you take your time and remember where everything goes and be careful not to drop stuff almost anyone can get through it.

thats what i am worried about, also i don't really know all the mechanisms of the hydraulic clutch. I'm thinking ill try my idea, see how it goes and if it doesn't than ill replace the whole thing. just because id really like to get out again before i get buried in snow.

• Like 1

thats what i am worried about, also i don't really know all the mechanisms of the hydraulic clutch. I'm thinking ill try my idea, see how it goes and if it doesn't than ill replace the whole thing. just because id really like to get out again before i get buried in snow.

Hydraulic clutch is just using a hydraulic way of actuating it, the push rid should just slide out same as normal, try to get it out first, might come easy

remember where everything goes 

pictures are worth their weight in gold when taking stuff apart sometimes....

• Like 1

you can try drilling and tapping it to an M8 fastener until your new one comes in

replacing that shaft is easy you just need basic tools plus a clutch holder and a gasket

Edited by Wild Alaskan

I'm confused on what has to come apart to install a new one, is it just the left side cover or split the cases right down the middle?

No. It's the right side (clutch side) that needs to come off. You have the cover that just covers the clutch and then inboard of that, the next section of cover that can be removed is what has to come off.

#1 in the schematic.

It's best to start with a smaller drill bit than the bolt. You have more room for error. Drill that hole straight, then move up in size. Also, before you put an easy out to it, heat the shaft tip, as most of the time that bolt has LocTite on it.

KTM125 Cover.JPG

Edited by Trailryder42

do you have access to a welder?  Place a nut over the broken bolt and weld the end of the bolt to the nut..... then back it out.

• Like 1

Try this....spray some PB rustbuster on the bolt and let it sit overnight. Centerpunch the bolt. Use a reverse drill bit and drill in reverse. Start drilling perpendicular to the bolt face until the drill starts biting into the bolt and gradually staighten out the drill until it's drilling straight into the bolt. Usually the bolt will back right out as the drill starts biting into the bolt. Heating the shift shaft will expand it and help release the bolt also.

I have found that a left hand twist drill bit works very well. It heats the bolt up as you drill the first hole. Then I go one size larger on the drill and it will grab as I push a little too hard and a little too fast. When it grabs it unscrews the broken off bolt.

Hi, you should try Boa Grabits that are made in the USA. I have a set which are real small - the end you use first isn't a drill as such but a cutter - you don't have to you use a centre punch - which you drill a/c real slow. You then reverse it and use the eazy out end and it should come out. If you have threadlocked the gear change bolt then heat around it with an electric heat gun to soften the thread locker. Also you can buy l/h drill bits but a bit more difficult to use if bolt is sheared at an angle. If you replace the shaft as a last resort you just have to remove the inner clutch casing and basket. It just pulls through. However I would try the Boa's and heat gun - worked no bother last twice that we had the same problem.

• Like 1