New 2001 Suzuki RM250

Today I bought a 2001 rm250 and want to go through all the fluids and such.  Here come the questions.  The clutch oil is grey and from my previous racing experience it needs to be changed and possibly the plates if theyre fried.  I used to have a honda cr250r and it took like formula 5 ford atf or something but im wondering if the suzuki takes the same?  Same question with the coolant.  Also it has a FMF fatty that doesnt really look like its meant for it, both the mounts are broken and it just looks weird.  are there numbers anywhere where i can check what bike it goes on?  Whats the absolute best/cheapest website to get parts from?  I think thats it.  Its seems like a pretty good bike so far.  Its got a keihin vforce reeds plus the mentioned fatty and powercore slip on.  Any input greatly appreciated and if any one is from lubbock i need some one to ride with!

Change the oil to a good wet clutch specific oil. You may have to change it a couple times to get it cleaned out. Inspect the drives and frictions AND the pressure plate for wear. The basket is no doubt shot as RM clutches are a weak link.

The coolant can be anything you get at an auto parts store. I use store brand premixed.

If the pipe mounts are broken you can have them welded back in place, if the pipe is destroyed or doesn't fit check eBay.

RockyMountainATV or MotorcycleSuperstore, or MOTOSPORT are good online suppliers, but this site has a store with a member discount.

Yea the basket is done but the frictions and steels look good surprisingly good.  im gonna b12 the insides.  What type of oil though?  from research people are using 10w40...the pipe mounts are broken yea but it just looks like its rubbing on everything.  radiator, kick lever, front fender, etc.

Rode the bike around today a bit and it doesn't grab as much anymore. I guess the oil had to get spread out as I let the case drain for like 3 hours. I've got some rotella sitting around from changing the oil in my f250 I'll put that in it when I change it again and see what the difference is.

EVERYBODY says use Rotella.....what were you using and what difference did you notice? I've used Dextron and Gearsaver as well as motor oil....my KXs and KTM liked ATF just fine.

My RM on the other hand, isn't a happy clutch.

I have been using atf type f on my rm and then the clutch started getting worse, when youd put it in gear itd stall, I filed out the grooves in the clutch basket but there wasnt very many but it still did it. Then I tryed rotella and it worked great
  • Like 1

EVERYBODY says use Rotella.....what were you using and what difference did you notice? I've used Dextron and Gearsaver as well as motor oil....my KXs and KTM liked ATF just fine.

My RM on the other hand, isn't a happy clutch.

Well, not "everyone" recommends Rotella ... at least not me.  Here's my oil recommendations:

For trail riders, this oil was engineered to give a smooth engagement.  This should also help to reduce or eliminate any lurching:

GOLDENGEAR-282x442.png

For MX racers, this oil was engineered to "grab" hard:

SXCLUTCH-282x442.png

And FWIW, this is a very good premix oil:

353-0706.jpg

• Like 1

Update on the FMF Fatty.  After emailing FMF they confirmed that it was the right pipe for the bike so I took it upon myself to bend it back into shape.  It took a couple hours but I've gotten it almost to where it needs to be.  The PO must of dumped the bike and bend the C bend back like 2 inches and messed up the entire fitment.  Anyways using some heat and some pipes to bend it back, I've managed to get it to fit way better than before.  The pipes not very pretty but I'm on a college budget and it will work till I can manage to get a new one.  At least no more exhaust leaks.  Ive also noticed that my transmission leaks a bit... Can I change that big gasket for the transmission cover with the motor still in the bike?