Sign in to follow this  

My first bike / KTM 500 EXC

Hello everyone, new to the forum, somewhat new to riding, and brand new to being a new bike owner.   I just obtained a KTM 500 EXC today, and after riding it around an underpopulated area for an hour, I am already due for my 1st maintenance tomorrow morning.  After that, 15 hours until my next maintenance, and so on.   Yes I know, sucks, but 15-20 hours between maintenance isn't a deal breaker for me due to the fact I won't be taking it on day long trips, and the mountains/trails are no more than 15-45 (depending on where I want to go, and how far in) mins from where I live.

Well, so far the hour I have had on the bike was fun, intimidating but fun.  I have a lot to learn, and I was taking it very slow due to the fact the bike is brand new, breaking in, and has knobbies on it.  I plan on getting some more enduro type tires after these knobbies wear out (hopefully fast) on the pavement.

I really wanted a KTM 690, mainly for the maintenance intervals, but for my use of the bike, which will be for very minor commuting (5 miles one way to my place of employment / 10 mins away max) on pavement, I don't think I made too bad of a decision purchasing this bike.

I will be doing much research on this bike due to my impulse buy, and will be putting $$ in some accessories.  If their are any must haves for this bike, I would like to hear about it.  Thank you all in advance.  I will be posting pictures soon.

• Like 1

Welcome and congrats!

15-20 hours isn't that bad. Learn to do the maintenance yourself and you'll save a few quid and enjoy working on your beast!

Can't say I know a great deal about aftermarket essentials for KTMs but check out the KTM forum for info.

PS I hope your riding on the road legaly, don't give us a bad name :jawdrop:

Enjoy your new steed :thumbsup: and post some pics

Congratz on bike! I had some mods done before it left dealer like springs 14-50 gears. The mods i like most now are SEAT if you plan on sitting on it for any number of hours riding street i would go there first. Wheel balance KTM doesn't balance there wheels atleast offroad that is i had mine done and that helped (word to wise if you can afford get lighter bead locks and that will help not having a ton of weight on outside of rims i have seen where they put weight on inside of rims. I'm probly going to redo it myself... A 10 dollar a wheel deal turned to 66 dollars for bolth.

Congrats on new bike, I will be dirt mostly but they are a very good on road except  for the seat and the buzzy bars.  I just picked up a lightly used '14 XCE 500 and changed the front cog to a 13 until I need to replace chain.  I notice some chain slap off and on throttle very slow or from a stop.  Can't be the only one?  Any hints? You are new rider?  Did the MSF course?  Money well spent.  I would spend time in an empty parking lot and learn slow speed manuevers and emergency braking, it can come in handy  Have FUN!

First Ride KTM 3.jpg

I have a lot to learn, and I was taking it very slow due to the fact the bike is brand new,

Welcome and congrats....the 500 EXC is an excellent machine.

I won't get into what the few basic mods are you should do.....lots of 500 owners here will step in I'm sure.

My comment would be (based on your statement above)...is remember...don't take it too easy. If your trying to break in a new bike you should be putting the engine throuigh its paces in a reasonably aggressive way.  Search the forums...lots of chatter on this subject.  The first hour is VERY important to push the engine hard for brief periods...I hope you did so...otherwise, the bike may never break in properly....this leads to problems.

Hope you have a blast.

• Like 1

As a new rider, I would take it very easy.  If I were you, I might even install a throttle stop and limit yourself to half throttle or so for the first few months. 

Than again, I would not have bought a Ferrari to learn to drive stick in...which is essentially what you did.

Thanks for all the replies guys, to respond to you guys, yes I will be taking the safety course, obtaining my license, and not riding it on public property for now.  I am going to have the rekluse auto clutch installed on the bike so that I don't need to worry about stalling when riding slow over difficult terrain.  The bike is definitely fast enough, and as bike dude mentioned, I will be limiting myself on how fast I do, though, I won't be putting any limiting devices on the bike, their is no need for all that.  I would say it's like buying a dodge charger SRT as a first vehicle, the KTM 1190 would be more like the Ferrari.  

The knobbies won't last very long on pavement, though riding them in the dirt is amazing, which makes me want to stay with aggressive tires, even if I sacrifice street capabilities.  My goal isn't to ride fast, it's to commute small distances, or ride to the dirt trails.

My first impressions of the bike are great, fun bike for sure, glad I did not get the bigger enduro r somewhat, this bike seems like a good weight and more off road capable (in my hands).  It has enough power to keep me occupied with the learning curve, and I don't think I will master this bikes capabilities anytime within the next couple years so that's good.  One thing I do plan on working are my braking techniques, and emergency maneuvers.  This bike wont be seeing the highway, ever, so I think that rules out some of the risks.

Any suggestions on what a good tire would be for off-road use, yet is still semi street capable?  I don't need to hit corners all hard on pavement, or ride fast, mainly something that wont be to hard on the tires while I ride to the dirt.

Also, I plan on installing almost all the protection components onto this bike, the brake disc guards, swingarm protection, and so on.  To protect her from when she layzmedwn  :( 

Welcome and congrats....the 500 EXC is an excellent machine.

I won't get into what the few basic mods are you should do.....lots of 500 owners here will step in I'm sure.

My comment would be (based on your statement above)...is remember...don't take it too easy. If your trying to break in a new bike you should be putting the engine throuigh its paces in a reasonably aggressive way.  Search the forums...lots of chatter on this subject.  The first hour is VERY important to push the engine hard for brief periods...I hope you did so...otherwise, the bike may never break in properly....this leads to problems.

Hope you have a blast.

Thanks for the info, I pasted the first hour mark, maintenance was done, and now I am at 3.4 hours, If putting it through it's paces means hitting some speed, I have done that, though nothing above 70 due to the knobbies.  I plan on taking it back in around 10 hours, which is early, but I want it to be checked out and have my new parts installed, such as the rekluse.

I would say it's like buying a dodge charger SRT as a first vehicle, the KTM 1190 would be more like the Ferrari.

Ha!  Don't underestimate this bike and how quick it will put you on your ass.  It can get away from you much quicker than you think.

• Like 2

Lol I know right, I am going to do my best to stay safe throughout my learning, although I would definitely rather go down on the dirt /rocks in full exo suit gear, than on pavement in the roads wearing basic street wear.    The bike is powerful for sure, I am somewhat happy I chose this bike rather than the 690 enduro, I just cant picture myself being able to do things on the 690 that this bike seems to surely be capable of.  The fewer pounds and slimmer body seem to mean a lot when off road.

• Like 1

Ha! Don't underestimate this bike and how quick it will put you on your ass. It can get away from you much quicker than you think.

yes sir, after 25 years riding and 10 bikes i got stuck into my 530 without setting the sag ,massive head shake at 130 kph over a stone ridge.

I was a passenger for a second , doesn't take long

Edited by T-Bone 426

Just be careful.  I've seen these bikes launch themselves 40 ft up a sand dune when the rider grabbed too much throttle. They DEMAND respect.

• Like 1