Sign in to follow this  

Registration problems PLEASE HELP!

Ok so i live in CA,im trying to register my 93 cr250, and 89 banshee.

They where both gifts from my parents. I recently started 2 restore them be trail ready and in my name.

PROBLEM- But nither were notifyed to DMV, didn't transfer ownership. And now my dad cant find the pink slip fir the bike or the quad. There vin's match up frame, motor, carb, exc.. And have been mine for 10 years now. I know there not impossible to register. But the way i look at it No proof well its not yours.lol LMK any tips or tricks

Edited by jonzen4honda

Ok so i live in CA,im trying to register my 93 cr250, and 89 banshee.

They where both gifts from my parents. I recently started 2 restore them be trail ready and in my name.

PROBLEM- But nither were notifyed to DMV, didn't transfer ownership. And now my dad cant find the pink slip fir the bike or the quad. There vin's match up frame, motor, carb, exc.. And have been mine for 10 years now. I know there not impossible to register. But the way i look at it No proof well its not yours.lol LMK any tips or tricks

Pretty easy actually.  I do this all the time.

Fill this Title Request Form (one for each atv):  https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/8c4e5fdb-a44e-44f6-853b-eabd471afdaa/reg343.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Fill out a Statement of Facts that these we're gifts from parents and were never registered as you only rode them on your private land and now you want to ride them on OHV Rec Parks:  https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/5a40cbcc-a9a9-4a42-ac43-a8564fa552c0/reg256.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=5a40cbcc-a9a9-4a42-ac43-a8564fa552c0

Make an Appointment, use the online form.  https://www.dmv.ca.gov/foa/clear.do?goTo=officeVisit

Have your parents write up a Bill of Sale of sorts on a piece of paper stating them as gifts for each atv.  Make sure they put the atv info on it as well as date/sign.

Show up to your appointment by bringing your ATV's with you on a trailer.  Once you check in and do the paperwork, they will send you outside to get the atv's inspected.  Make sure you know where the engine and vin are to show them.  Give them a flashlight to make sure they get the numbers right and verify yourself after the inspector gives you the paper filled out.  this is permanent, so make sure it's correct.  Bring the paper inside and finish registration and walk out with your registration and decals.

Here are the fees.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr34

Good Luck!

• Like 2

Good shit Dan! this will come in handy,  im going to start buying/ repairing/ sell old used bikes.

Whats funny i looked on the internet for days to find someone in my position. All that comes up are people trying to buy or sell with no paperwork.

When google fails, TT always pulls through.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you are bothered by my hijacking of your thread, and I'll start m own,  but I have a similar problem.  I have a 2004 ktm 250exc that is not in the system.  DMV had me fill out the application and a statement of facts, went outside and looked at the bike, went back inside and almost got through the process till the lady, who appeared to be a fairly new employee, came across the fact that the bike has no emissions sticker. She looked in her manual and talked to 2 others then came back and said that she couldn't register it till I get that sticker.  This sticker appears to be impossible to get.  Has anyone run across this problem and what did you do about it?

• Like 1

Let me know if you are bothered by my hijacking of your thread, and I'll start m own,  but I have a similar problem.  I have a 2004 ktm 250exc that is not in the system.  DMV had me fill out the application and a statement of facts, went outside and looked at the bike, went back inside and almost got through the process till the lady, who appeared to be a fairly new employee, came across the fact that the bike has no emissions sticker. She looked in her manual and talked to 2 others then came back and said that she couldn't register it till I get that sticker.  This sticker appears to be impossible to get.  Has anyone run across this problem and what did you do about it?

Yeah, she must be new.  It doesn't need that sticker.  It just means it's an automatic "Red" decal.  Just tell her the sticker is long gone and that's what happens on off road bikes, they automagically fly away.  Just go back to the DMV and hopefully you don't get the same lady.  If you do, I would just escalate to the supervisor. 

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go to another DMV and star over again. That one wasn't very close anyway, I just didn't have an appointment and I knew they had short lines.  Hopefully the next time the person will not question it.  There is another box on their form that states that if there is not a 3 or c in whatever digit of the vin that it gets a green sticker.  Hopefully this works out but a red one is better than nothing.  

Edited by William1
removed strike through for poster

2003 and newer are red decal unless it has the epa sticker.  Although, I have seen it go either way.  Not sure what box that is but if it's the form filled in by the inspector, then i would have no idea.

• Like 1

After looking at the paper again it is not a box to be checked is a note on the back of the "verification of vehicle" form and all it says is "a 2003 or newer year model with a 3 or a c in the 8th position of the vin are non-complying and are issued a red ohv sticker".  I assumed all others would get a green sticker.  I do like that I somehow managed to get a line through my previous post, showing off my supreme computer skills.

• Like 1

Update in case anyone cares- I visited another DMV that wanted me to fill out some lost registration paperwork.  I didn't like way that was going so I left and went to a third DMV, where they accepted my pre filled out application for a title and statement of facts.  I didn't tell them I had been to the first DMV and that lady didn't enter anything into the system, so they looked at the VIN number, entered it into the computer and said there was no record, charged me $178, made me fill out a paper stating the bike had been in storage for at least the last 5 years despite the fact that I told the lady I had no knowledge of this being true, and handed me a paper to take to the CHP where they could do another VIN check for who knows what reason.   I set up a CHP appointment got the paper filled out and headed back to the DMV where they issued a green sicker and said the title will arrive in about 30 days.  I think it was worthwhile as KTM 250 four stroke off road bikes are scarce round here and it is a good fit for my wife, plus I only paid $1500 for it, but I think when I buy myself a new to me bike it'll be bigger, there are more of those to chose from, and I'll get something with up to date registration.

Update in case anyone cares- I visited another DMV that wanted me to fill out some lost registration paperwork.  I didn't like way that was going so I left and went to a third DMV, where they accepted my pre filled out application for a title and statement of facts.  I didn't tell them I had been to the first DMV and that lady didn't enter anything into the system, so they looked at the VIN number, entered it into the computer and said there was no record, charged me $178, made me fill out a paper stating the bike had been in storage for at least the last 5 years despite the fact that I told the lady I had no knowledge of this being true, and handed me a paper to take to the CHP where they could do another VIN check for who knows what reason.   I set up a CHP appointment got the paper filled out and headed back to the DMV where they issued a green sicker and said the title will arrive in about 30 days.  I think it was worthwhile as KTM 250 four stroke off road bikes are scarce round here and it is a good fit for my wife, plus I only paid $1500 for it, but I think when I buy myself a new to me bike it'll be bigger, there are more of those to chose from, and I'll get something with up to date registration.

What did you write in your statement of facts? I'm also trying to get my 1982 KDX 80 registered for a green sticker. My friends father gave it to me because he couldn't get it running..

Sorry this took so long, I haven't looked at my notifications recently.  I just filled in everything I knew.  I told them the name and address of the guy I bought it from and that I couldn't get ahold of him to fill out a bill of sale.  The DMV lady told me to write in that I intended no fraud in trying to register the bike.  I think there was some other comment that she had me write in but I don't remember what it was.  I am of the impression that it is standard for them to do this.  If you can get ahold of your friends father it might be worthwhile to fill out a bill of sale.  These forms are available from the DMV online.

Sorry this took so long, I haven't looked at my notifications recently.  I just filled in everything I knew.  I told them the name and address of the guy I bought it from and that I couldn't get ahold of him to fill out a bill of sale.  The DMV lady told me to write in that I intended no fraud in trying to register the bike.  I think there was some other comment that she had me write in but I don't remember what it was.  I am of the impression that it is standard for them to do this.  If you can get ahold of your friends father it might be worthwhile to fill out a bill of sale.  These forms are available from the DMV online.

Thank you asb77! I will let you guys know if I'm successful in registering my 4 motorcycles: 1981 Honda C70, 1974 Honda CB125s, 1982 Kawasaki KDX80, and 1988 Kawasaki KX250. All come with a bill of sale except the KX250 which I have the pink slip for.

AJ

If you have AAA or want to join they can transfer off road bikes with pink slips and can probably help with the paperless street bikes.  It saves time and you are treated as a customer rather than the cattle they must process before lunch, they have an interested in keeping you happy.   I started there and was told that if it was a street bike they would have me fill out the application for a title as they did at the DMV, but they couldn't process it because they are limited to title transfers and registration payment on off highway vehicles. 

• Like 1