Sign in to follow this  

need some input/advice

so I scored an almost complete 2005 450r front end for 250 shipped.  im going the emig conversion stem route.

I need some advice as to which way to go with the wheel.  ive read thread after thread about the fork swap but haven't seen anyone touch on this.

I plan on using my stock speedo. so I have 2 options

option 1:get emig axle conversion kit : price $250 plus shipping.  lets me use my stock xr wheel speedo drive and brake.  pretty straight forward.

option 2:  get a crf250/450x front wheel, axle and speedo drive/cable, caliper bracket and its all oem parts then.

Wheel :$100ish with crf rotor

Speedo drive: $55ish

axle: $25ish

speedo cable: $8

Caliper bracket: 55ish

crfx fork guards for cable routing $30

TOTAL: $300ish after shipping

so is there any benefit to one over the other?  or is it just a preference thing?  any input would be great!

thanks in advance

Mike

Keep looking for crf wheel parts, you can find better prices than that.

Buy a caliper that has the bracket on it already, its usually cheaper than just the bracket for some reason. I got mine for $25 with a good caliper and bracket.

I believe the CRF R axle will work just the same as the X axle and those can be found for $10-15. (Double check me on this one).

Also, a lot of the time the speedo drive will still be on the wheel but will not be listed in the ad so pay close attention to the pics.

IIRC your stock speedo cable will work in the CRF X speedo drive but I haven't done it personally.

Good luck and post pics as you go. Not many folks use the emig stem and I think it is probably the best route for a guy who cant afford the full triples so I want to see how it works for you.

Keep looking for crf wheel parts, you can find better prices than that.

Buy a caliper that has the bracket on it already, its usually cheaper than just the bracket for some reason. I got mine for $25 with a good caliper and bracket.

I believe the CRF R axle will work just the same as the X axle and those can be found for $10-15. (Double check me on this one).

Also, a lot of the time the speedo drive will still be on the wheel but will not be listed in the ad so pay close attention to the pics.

IIRC your stock speedo cable will work in the CRF X speedo drive but I haven't done it personally.

Good luck and post pics as you go. Not many folks use the emig stem and I think it is probably the best route for a guy who cant afford the full triples so I want to see how it works for you.

Im leaning towards the crf front wheel setup as opposed to the conversion axle.  cheapest wheel ive found on ebay was for an 09 250x with disc for 100 with 15 shipping. 

from what ive read the x axle is different.  I will double check on that.  as for the cable I was looking at pics and it appears the xrl speedo cable has a different end where it attaches to the drive, its the same where it attaches to the odo.  I think.....

great idea picking up caliper, I have seen them cheap!

I plan on fabbing up mounts for the light,odo and ignition onto the crf triples.  id love the emig conversion triple but no coin for that!

when I have everything I will make another conversion thread laying everything out.

thanks for the input!

• Like 2

so I scored an almost complete 2005 450r front end for 250 shipped.  im going the emig conversion stem route.

I need some advice as to which way to go with the wheel.  ive read thread after thread about the fork swap but haven't seen anyone touch on this.

I plan on using my stock speedo. so I have 2 options

option 1:get emig axle conversion kit : price $250 plus shipping.  lets me use my stock xr wheel speedo drive and brake.  pretty straight forward.

option 2:  get a crf250/450x front wheel, axle and speedo drive/cable, caliper bracket and its all oem parts then.

Wheel :$100ish with crf rotor

Speedo drive: $55ish

axle: $25ish

speedo cable: $8

Caliper bracket: 55ish

crfx fork guards for cable routing $30

TOTAL: $300ish after shipping

so is there any benefit to one over the other?  or is it just a preference thing?  any input would be great!

thanks in advance

Mike

The CRF wheel is a 32 spoke common "dirt bike" wheel. The stock L wheel is a 36 spoke. If you need parts for the CRF wheel they are more common, more choices, less expensive

The axles between a R and X are different to handle the X speedo drive. If using a trailtech or other computer use the R axle. If using the X speedo drive u need the X axle.

If using the X wheel and X speedo drive u need the X speedo cable. It will plug right into the L speedo head but the X cable is a little shorter than the L one.

Brake rotors. The stock L rotor is 255mm diameter, The stock R or X rotor is 240mm. Smaller with less braking.  A lot of folks end up replacing the rotor with a oversize one. The oversized rotor comes with a bracket for the caliper. Check RM for a tusk 270mm floating one.

I hope that helps

Can anyone confirm that my 05 triples will hit the steering stops or not?