Sign in to follow this  

Changing to 17inch front and rear ?

Ok I'm ready to spend the bucks and get a set of 17s so I can switch out quickly to run street or dirt. Not sure of all the parts I need to get like brakes,sprockets,chain,etc. Which rims are the best?

2015 DRZ400s

Ok I'm ready to spend the bucks and get a set of 17s so I can switch out quickly to run street or dirt. Not sure of all the parts I need to get like brakes,sprockets,chain,etc. Which rims are the best?

2015 DRZ400s

stock = easiest

best = subjective

cheapest = hooligan mod

fastest = does not apply

• Like 2

stock = easiest

best = subjective

cheapest = hooligan mod

fastest = does not apply

I just love these forums, you can never get a straight answer to a simple question

I just love these forums, you can never get a straight answer to a simple question

That was probably the straightest answer you can get for a question like yours. There is no absolute best. Otherwise everyone would just have the best, and nothing else would exist. "Best" is subject to your budget , etc. But Ohgood gave you a good starting point. If you want something cheap, hooligan mod. If you want a stress free conversion, use the stock SM setup. If you want the "best" for yourself, you're gonna have to do some research :p

Anyways, Good luck!  :ride:

• Like 2

2015 DRZ400s

Best is OEM SM rims,   they are Excels,  fit right on,  and you still get to keep your stock speedometer,  if you go other brands like warp 9's,  you cant use your stock speedo, 

i converted me S into a SM,  and heres what i did

OEM SM rims,  

15-38 gearing vs stock S gearing which is 15-44,  stock SM is 15-41 ,  but i do lots of freeway and have some mods,  so it pulls 15-38 easily.

110 SM chain

SM kickstand

EBC 320 front brake rotor and EBC 015 bracket  (stock S 250 front brake rotor absolutely SUCKS with the small 17 SM wheels,  believe me i tried)

SM speedo cable (if you keep the S cable with the SM wheels,  your speedo will be off) 

I love it in SM trim

temporary_zps278ikugy.jpg

Best Is such a subjective concept. Like ohgood stated depends on what you want. Best would prob be Marchesini rims but the price is ridiculous. Hooligan mod was the best for me. Each setup has completely different needs and requirements to get it up and running. Also do you wanna run 320 rotor or stock S. That makes another difference. Among other things.

I love when members post vague post then get angry when other members provide answers!

Best is OEM SM rims,   they are Excels,  fit right on,  and you still get to keep your stock speedometer,  if you go other brands like warp 9's,  you cant use your stock speedo, 

i converted me S into a SM,  and heres what i did

OEM SM rims,  

15-38 gearing vs stock S gearing which is 15-44,  stock SM is 15-41 ,  but i do lots of freeway and have some mods,  so it pulls 15-38 easily.

110 SM chain

SM kickstand

EBC 320 front brake rotor and EBC 015 bracket  (stock S 250 front brake rotor absolutely SUCKS with the small 17 SM wheels,  believe me i tried)

SM speedo cable (if you keep the S cable with the SM wheels,  your speedo will be off) 

I love it in SM trim

temporary_zps278ikugy.jpg

Thank You 150Ron it was my bad for using the word best, should have known better. But I really appreciate you giving me a breakdown list of parts to make the change.
  • Like 1

Thank You 150Ron it was my bad for using the word best, should have known better. But I really appreciate you giving me a breakdown list of parts to make the change.I 

I forgot one thing,  you will need to get a SM chain guards,  which is much bigger then the S chain guide,   some say you dont need  it,  but i had major tire rubbing issues at first,  with the stock 140 tire,  now even with a wider 150 tire,  no touching at all,  this is the one i used,   no modifications needed,  simply will bolt on a S model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ-400E-400S-400SM-SM-Style-Chain-Guide-Kit-/120979763636

temporary_zpsa3c8054c.jpg

and this is the EBC 320 brake rotor,  with the needed EBC 015 bracket to move the brake thingie over a bit,  you can stop with one finger,  its powerful.

temporary_zpsfkoa6km5.jpg

2015 DRZ400s

the list of possible variables and solutions to your very vague question is extensive. so are the results from a search on TT.

mostly though, you'll have to put more effort into your questions, and that part will get easier as you do more research. :)

of course there are chains, cogs, wheel bearings, tires, tubes, spokes, nipples, hubs, brake rotors, pads, lines, calipers, adapters, speedometer issues, and complete suspension swaps that are possible, but you have to get started, and ask better questions.

I'm not being ugly towards you, the internet just makes it seem like it.

what were you expecting to learn?

I've got the perfect set up for you... Don't know if I should let them go just yet though.... If I get a smoker this winter I may want to permanently go SM on me DRZ. Brappp

• Like 1