Sign in to follow this  

Washington Mattawa Conditions

Anyone been down to Mattawa lately? I am wondering if they have gotten any rain the last two weeks or so? I am thinking of going down Saturday since it's looking like Taneum/Manastash are going to be pretty wet.....

Anyone been down to Mattawa lately? I am wondering if they have gotten any rain the last two weeks or so? I am thinking of going down Saturday since it's looking like Taneum/Manastash are going to be pretty wet.....

Mattawa is riding good. Was there Saturday the 14th. No wind, about 50 degrees, high overcast, was a great day to ride. Could use a tad more moisture, but that will likely be happening since it is November.

Anyone been out there lately? How much snow is on the ground? Looks like it's been getting some warm(ish) rain and the weather could cooperate on Sunday. 

Edited by endubmud

Could someone describe the mattawa riding area a bit to me? I was there in the summer with a big adv bike, rode all the dirt roads up above, then drove the entire crab creek road from west to east. I now have a husky 350 enduro bike.

Are there trails there, or what is the ride area? I did notice a couple of small dune areas while I was out there.

It's definitely a sweet winter spot with trails all over the place. The dirt/sand absorbs water really well. Definitely explore a fair bit as we didn't find all of the fun trails and tracks until our 2nd or 3rd time out there. Here's a lame video of one the main canyon trails from my first ride on my new bike a few months back. Note all of the trails forking off in the video just out of this one canyon...

https://www.facebook.com/cameron.hofer.5/videos/10101255501551898/

Edited by endubmud

Could someone describe the mattawa riding area a bit to me? I was there in the summer with a big adv bike, rode all the dirt roads up above, then drove the entire crab creek road from west to east. I now have a husky 350 enduro bike.

Are there trails there, or what is the ride area? I did notice a couple of small dune areas while I was out there.

There are lots of trails and little canyons you can go up and down. There are no designated trails, but there are plenty of well used and obvious trails, but you are not required to to stay on those. There are lots and lots off woops and even more rocks. But there are also sandy sections, dirt sections, etc. We were down there about 2 weeks ago and there was quite a bit of snow, particularly up  toward the top of Saddle Mtn. The canyons weren't bad in the lower sections but there was a little snow and ice. It's been pretty warm since then so I would think it's better. 

Believe it or not, Mattawa is pretty technical and really cool ....you have to really explore every ravine up and down because it is not so big any more.

Joe

I was there Sunday for the first time. Perfect weather! Lots of fun. I plan to go back and explore more. I have some video of the same canyon trail posted up a few but going the other way, and slower. I went down on a hill climb and hurt myself enough to not be comfortable pushing myself so my day was cut short.

Some snow on the upper ends of the trails and on the peaks but most of it was less than 6". Some holes and shady areas were maybe up to 12" of snow.

Can't wait to go back.

Edited by WA426rider116

Could someone give me the coordinates (I'm assuming there's no address) to the staging area for Mattawa?  I need to plug it into Google Maps to get directions.  Thanks!

Edited by xrsingletrack

46.774631, -119.884731

It's pretty easy, go through Mattawa, take a left on Road "R", stay to the left when it gets to the first cattle guard. Once you cross the second cattle guard you are there. You will see the little BLM kiosk on the left side of the road.

46.774631, -119.884731

It's pretty easy, go through Mattawa, take a left on Road "R", stay to the left when it gets to the first cattle guard. Once you cross the second cattle guard you are there. You will see the little BLM kiosk on the left side of the road.

Thank you!

I was on a big fat ADV bike last July. I accidentlally followed a gravel road. Took me down the steep face towards the river. Got steeper, steeper, then bam, this view comes up, and it literally made my stomach sick. I was under the impression this road might take me to the hwy below. WRONG... it took me on the path to service the massive towers for the power line. I got to the end of the line, and had to go up the steep gravel road. It was 95 degrees, I was exhausted, alone and scared I was stuck. I got lucky and spun my tires and somehow got out. I have pics, will post later. What an adventure it was.

I'll be headed that way in the next 4-6 weeks probably and will post up beforehand. Probably head out with 3-4 other guys. Would love a knowledgeable guide to help out, and possibly help with some cold beers.  

I was there Sunday for the first time. Perfect weather! Lots of fun. I plan to go back and explore more. I have some video of the same canyon trail posted up a few but going the other way, and slower. I went down on a hill climb and hurt myself enough to not be comfortable pushing myself so my day was cut short.

Some snow on the upper ends of the trails and on the peaks but most of it was less than 6". Some holes and shady areas were maybe up to 12" of snow.

Can't wait to go back.

Nice vid!!

• Like 1

46.774631, -119.884731

LOL. I was doing just that headed down R, but got confused at the split. The guy that owns the Ranch comes by and points the right direction to me. I think lots of folks wind up riding onto his property. 

There are all sorts of gas stations and supplies in Mattawa if you need gas, snacks, food, or HYDRATION. I have never been so thirsty in my life the time I was there. 

That bike killed a deer. Totaled, and in biker heaven. When I return it will be on this... Should be a bit better and easier...025.JPG

• Like 1