Sign in to follow this  

Leatt gpx neck brace 4.5 vs 5.5

What's up everyone! Was about to purchase the last piece of gear I should need for a while ..the neck brace. And was wondering if anyone has any expierence with the leatt gpx 4.5

Or

Leatt gpx 5.5

Is there really much of a difference it's about a $70 difference in price.

What you guys think?

Edited by EbenDag

Yes sir.  It's really in the adjustable pins.  Put the proper one in so the brace fits right on top of your shoulders.  Mine was perfect with the stock one.  I used the larger one on my sons Leatt Adventure and now his fits perfect.

• Like 1

The biggest difference between the two is the way that they attach to close. The 5.5 uses a button to open, the 4.5 is the old style, using the levers on the side, use both levers to take down to halves, just one to put on/take off. I'd do the 5.5 if I was to replace mine with another Leatt. I have two boys using the new model Atlas. IMO they are less bulky and give a bigger range of motion (for looking around) than the Leatts do. 

Disclaimer; I have not worn a 5.5. My opinion on head movement is based off of the old 4.5, which limits movement quiet a bit.....But I still wear it when I race Harescrambles.

Again, if it MUST be a Leatt, get the 5.5.

Steer clear of the Close outs. The new Leatt braces have a different back piece (split around the spin, instead of on the spin) that you WANT in a neck brace.

• Like 1

Steer clear of the Close outs. The new Leatt braces have a different back piece (split around the spin, instead of on the spin) that you WANT in a neck brace.

Yep, they finally figured that one out.  That's why I have an Atlas.

• Like 1

The biggest difference between the two is the way that they attach to close. The 5.5 uses a button to open, the 4.5 is the old style, using the levers on the side, use both levers to take down to halves, just one to put on/take off. I'd do the 5.5 if I was to replace mine with another Leatt. I have two boys using the new model Atlas. IMO they are less bulky and give a bigger range of motion (for looking around) than the Leatts do.

Disclaimer; I have not worn a 5.5. My opinion on head movement is based off of the old 4.5, which limits movement quiet a bit.....But I still wear it when I race Harescrambles.

Again, if it MUST be a Leatt, get the 5.5.

Wow man thank you for the awesome review to clarify on the two braces. It does not have to be a leatt and multiple people have mentioned the Atlas neck brace. I will Def look into those thank you!

***those with the Atlas neck brace ***

Is there a specific model that you like best?

Wow man thank you for the awesome review to clarify on the two braces. It does not have to be a leatt and multiple people have mentioned the Atlas neck brace. I will Def look into those thank you!

***those with the Atlas neck brace ***

Is there a specific model that you like best?

I have last year's model of what is now the Air.  Love it, it is so light you don't even know you are wearing it.  No restriction in turning your head.  My middle son has an older Leatt, he is going to replace it with an Atlas.  The front pads lay on your pecs, and the back ones to either side of your spine.

But, I do have to say, kudos for you for getting a neck brace, whatever brand and model you choose.  Way too many guys think they are unneccessary, I consider it the second most important piece of equipment.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

Well, I guess my son and I are going to get paralyzed due to ours not being split.  :cry:

Isn't the 5.5 a little lower to the shoulder than the 4.5, making more room between helmet and brace? Maybe not the best choice for a rider with a slightly longer neck, or a welcome change for the other riders.

Isn't the 5.5 a little lower to the shoulder than the 4.5, making more room between helmet and brace? Maybe not the best choice for a rider with a slightly longer neck, or a welcome change for the other riders.

Isn't this why they come with a variety of sizing pins?  Proper fitment for all Leatt Braces is to sit right on your shoulders.  Mine out of the box fit perfect.  My sons Adventure, I used the one size higher sizing pin and then it fit perfectly.  

Got myself and son the Leatt Chest Protectors and called Leatt since now his brace sits high with the chest protector.  Suggestion was to install an ever bigger pin so it will sit lower.  Mine however has removable plastic plates on the front/back of my new chest protector.  Gonna get this sorted prior to heading to the Desert next week.

Isn't this why they come with a variety of sizing pins?  Proper fitment for all Leatt Braces is to sit right on your shoulders.  Mine out of the box fit perfect.  My sons Adventure, I used the one size higher sizing pin and then it fit perfectly.  

Got myself and son the Leatt Chest Protectors and called Leatt since now his brace sits high with the chest protector.  Suggestion was to install an ever bigger pin so it will sit lower.  Mine however has removable plastic plates on the front/back of my new chest protector.  Gonna get this sorted prior to heading to the Desert next week.

sizing pins give you more space between the front and rear brace halves, but the overall standard height of the 5.5, Ive read is a little less than the 4.5. 

WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We have a couple of quibbles. (1) The 5.5 isn’t very light. (2) Although the range of motion has been improved, riders with long necks should find increased safety in the GPX Race brace, which sits closer to the helmet.

Edited by pieplatesnductape

sizing pins give you more space between the front and rear brace halves, but the overall standard height of the 5.5, Ive read is a little less than the 4.5. 

WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We have a couple of quibbles. (1) The 5.5 isn’t very light. (2) Although the range of motion has been improved, riders with long necks should find increased safety in the GPX Race brace, which sits closer to the helmet.

Ha ha, no squak here.  There seems to be a misunderstanding when you say sits closer to the shoulder, when they should all sit right on the shoulder if correct pin is used.  The measurement  from the top of brace to helmet is what I think you are talking about 4.5 and 5.5 diffs.