Sign in to follow this  

2 metal bars near gas tank opening?

In the gas tank there are 2 metal bars running across inside the tank, and near the top.  What are those for?  It prevents you from putting the gas nozzle too far in.  This makes it difficult to fill up, as the rubber vapor collection part of the fuel nozzle cannot be depressed.  You have to depress that with your hand to get the gas to flow, defeating the purpose.  Just wondering why those bars are there?  I'm guessing they're protecting something in the tank?

Protecting the fuel pump I would imagine. Maybe just get à normal gas can? All the ones ive ever had is just à plastic hose, never seen one where you got to dépress the end. Or just cut that Rubber thing off?

• Like 1

In the gas tank there are 2 metal bars running across inside the tank, and near the top.  What are those for?  It prevents you from putting the gas nozzle too far in.  This makes it difficult to fill up, as the rubber vapor collection part of the fuel nozzle cannot be depressed.  You have to depress that with your hand to get the gas to flow, defeating the purpose.  Just wondering why those bars are there?  I'm guessing they're protecting something in the tank?

Here in Nebraska we do not have those pumps but, I have heard many a biker complain about them ....  :rant:  I have read that on this bike in particular since it has such a small tank that some folks just fill up at home from a gas can ....  :thumbsup:   One 6 gallon gas can at home will probably let you fill the bike 4 times ....  :ride:

Protecting the fuel pump I would imagine. Maybe just get à normal gas can? All the ones ive ever had is just à plastic hose, never seen one where you got to dépress the end. Or just cut that Rubber thing off?

I believe he is talking about filling up at the gas station. 

Your problem is with the pump nozzle. If the bars were not there and you stuck the nozzle in you could not fill the tank completely anyway. I have never filled with the vapor tube but sound like the home tank or tanks would cause less problem. I fill up everyday, 102 mile round trip so just have 2 5-6 gallons cans and fill them on the weekend. Sounds like you will just have to suffer in road trips. I would NOT remove the bars, it won't help you fill the tank and as mentioned the float sensor and fuel sump and pump is down there somewhere and there is no center frame bar forming a saddle style tank like other bikes.

You could move and change states! Haha

• Like 1

the bars serve as protection to pump and the fuel level sender arm and float and as a limit indicator, you are not supose to fill the tank above the bars as fuel could be drawn down the vent tube and saturate the vapor recovery container, that in turn would cause running issues with the engine.

• Like 1

here in Cali we have the pump nozzles that you have to lift the rubber vapor skirt so the gas will flow.

doesn't matter what bike you have ,,you still have to lift the rubber vapor skirt to fill the tank

its not a big deal , just clean your hands after your done if you don't like the smell

• Like 1

here in Cali we have the pump nozzles that you have to lift the rubber vapor skirt so the gas will flow.

doesn't matter what bike you have ,,you still have to lift the rubber vapor skirt to fill the tank

its not a big deal , just clean your hands after your done if you don't like the smell

Ahhhhh, rubber skirts!  Oops, there I go again from my 80's new Wave days!

• Like 1