Sign in to follow this  

Best timing chain for x200?

It's time to freshen up the top end on the xr200.While apart,might as well replace the chain.Are any brands better than other?Is oem best?Thanks,Tim

Lay the chain out on a table with an outside surface down, then bend the chain into an arc and move the ends against a straight edge or a piece of wood. Measure the distance from the straight edge to the center of the chain.

New chain will measure 1", used more, I've seen 1 1/2" on worn chains.

If other things are worn in the motor the chain is probably also worn.  The chain is only about $30 so I suggest replacing it.

Bought a nice '99 and it has a brand new Wiesco piston. Owner "said" he replaced the chain but, something caused it to be out of time and bent a valve.

So, don't know if it was replaced or just put together badly.

If I can tell if the chain is new that would be good.

The piston looks like it just came out of the box so I'm hoping the chain is new also.

So I just need to measure the side deflection?

One more tidbit about it.

The guy said it made noise immediately upon startup and ran but he shut it off suspecting timing issues.

I'm thinking his lobes were in the wrong position when he put it together.

The cam had a groove in it and the race for the cam was messed up.

Fortunately I have 2 other engines and a good head and cam.

Funny, the valves in the first engine do not appear bent but the other, good head they are.

So, off to Rockymountain for a valve spring tool! I love tools :)

Gonna lap these valves and see if the chain is new or not.

Honestly, this bike looks brand new except for paint rubbed off the frame rails on the side.

The rear tire was absolutely bald so I think some jackass just rode the piss out of it on the road and never did any oil or chain maintenance.