A skier tried to tell me that dirt bikes suck, yet he rides bikes...

So i have a friend that skis and rides mountain bikes (has never ridden a motorcycle, ATV, or anything except for his bike on the street). I told him the reasons why i prefer dirt bikes to skiing and he told me that dirt bikes require no physical exercise and all you do is "sit down"  ? i'd like him to tell that to the hundreds of motocross riders. If dirt bikers just sit down, then skiers squat with their butt sticking out?  Not that that's 100% true of course, but based on his logic, it's pretty accurate. I feel like i offended him and he started trying to prove that skiing is way better than motocross because you get exercise and you move, which is better and more exciting. They're different types of fun i guess, and he also said that skiers go way faster, but that's not true. Anyone have any opinion on this?

Don't even argue with people like that. I usually just tell people if it were easy everyone would be doing it. I'm looking to buy a 125 to mess with and let friends ride. Next time someone says that to me Ill gladly pay an entry fee to an open practice and tell them to follow me if its so easy.

• Like 3

So i have a friend that skis and rides mountain bikes (has never ridden a motorcycle, ATV, or anything except for his bike on the street). I told him the reasons why i prefer dirt bikes to skiing and he told me that dirt bikes require no physical exercise and all you do is "sit down" ? i'd like him to tell that to the hundreds of motocross riders. If dirt bikers just sit down, then skiers squat with their butt sticking out? Not that that's 100% true of course, but based on his logic, it's pretty accurate. I feel like i offended him and he started trying to prove that skiing is way better than motocross because you get exercise and you move, which is better and more exciting. They're different types of fun i guess, and he also said that skiers go way faster, but that's not true. Anyone have any opinion on this?

yeah I got an opinion on this.. Kick his blue collar @$$, send his skies down the hill, then you go home and ride your dirt bike with a smile

Your friend doesn't know shit.  I skied as a teenager.  Gravity does much of the work and most runs are fairly short.  Then it is sit on ass on lift for 15 minutes.

Dirtbiking is by far the most physically demanding sport I have ever done.  And I am slow.  How the fast guys do it is just beyond me.

Ya - i would say your FRIEND is pretty close minded.

I used to a pretty avid skier, telemark skier, snow boarder in a BIG way on BIG mountains and used to thorough in some cross country just to say I could do it. Anyway I remember when shape skis and snowboard's were just coming out and all my skier friend's were saying they would NEVER use shape skis or NEVER snowboard. Now you can only buy shape skis. For me snow sports was all about the right tool for the job. 3 feet of powder and its snowboarding. No snow for 2 weeks and shear ice, skis. IMO People who can't do both out are missing out on half the fun.

I also started dirt biking/trials riding back in the late 70's, then had one of the first stump jumper mountain bikes in the 80's and again the right tool for the job or day and again, if your head or ability is stuck with one thing, your missing as least half or more of the fun.

Then for me it is how different sports can make you better in each sport.

Free you mind and your ass will follow (for any Funkadelic fans)

Edited by filterx