Sign in to follow this  

Issues with the throttle cable

Hey everyone,

So here is whats going on, I was replacing the steering column bearings  and had to take the handlebars off and throttle cable front brake, etc. off in order to.  Well i probably didn't have to but it was easier than having to work around them.

That was a pain job all in itself.  Anyways after i got the new bearing installed I started putting everything back on the bike its a 2002 drz400s for reference.  While install the throttle cable I noticed it was frayed towards the carb end.

So I was pissed, but I went on bike bandit and ordered a new motion pro push pull throttle cable, it said it fit the '02 drz400s.

When I got it and tried to install it when it came but I cannot for the life of me get it to work.  Ive tried a ton of ways and am not having any luck getting it to fit.

Can anyone explain in simple terms how the set up should be at the handle and at the carb? meaning which cable should wrap around a which way on the throttle assembly.

I feel like I've tried every way (though I'm sure I haven't) and can't figure it out, I even had my father who is an engineer and fixes cars and bikes all the time look at it. Im worried that the cable is to short  :bonk:

Any help would be great, thanks in advance 

"meaning which cable should wrap around a which way on the throttle assembly"

Been there done that! I sat there getting the throttle push-pull figured out, thinking I must be the only idiot in the world who couldn't get this to work.

I tried to find a schematic for you, no luck.

I'd suggest sitting down with coffee and just think about what each cable needs to do at the throttle end. Or, buy a used one off Craigslist for reference!

there may be different ways to wire it not sure, but this is mine --> note the 'silver' is in the front on the carb and back on the grip ..

carb_zpsuyph8di8.jpg

grip_zpsvpdtrdvx.jpg

Edited by cowpie

Hey everyone,

So here is whats going on, I was replacing the steering column bearings  and had to take the handlebars off and throttle cable front brake, etc. off in order to.  Well i probably didn't have to but it was easier than having to work around them.

That was a pain job all in itself.  Anyways after i got the new bearing installed I started putting everything back on the bike its a 2002 drz400s for reference.  While install the throttle cable I noticed it was frayed towards the carb end.

So I was pissed, but I went on bike bandit and ordered a new motion pro push pull throttle cable, it said it fit the '02 drz400s.

When I got it and tried to install it when it came but I cannot for the life of me get it to work.  Ive tried a ton of ways and am not having any luck getting it to fit.

Can anyone explain in simple terms how the set up should be at the handle and at the carb? meaning which cable should wrap around a which way on the throttle assembly.

I feel like I've tried every way (though I'm sure I haven't) and can't figure it out, I even had my father who is an engineer and fixes cars and bikes all the time look at it. Im worried that the cable is to short  :bonk:

Any help would be great, thanks in advance 

"I'm worried that the cable is to short  :bonk:"

How does the new cable(s) compare to the originals :thinking:

Buying/using a manual when working on anything would be an advantage, or even now, to show how to re-assemble the throttle, as well as taking pics along the way.

Once you remove the handlebar clamps, the bar can be moved towards the left and both the throttle and brake assemblies can be slid off the handle bar intact, no need to dis-assemble them.

The same goes for the clutch side, once the grip is removed.

Finding that frayed cable may have saved you a future break down :D

:thumbsup:

Do you have the part number of the cable? I have a motion pro push/pull throttle cable on my '02 S and it is part number 04-0234. I just installed it less than a month ago so its pretty fresh in my mind. If you need some more pictures or a diagram of how to route it let me know.

Do you have the part number of the cable? I have a motion pro push/pull throttle cable on my '02 S and it is part number 04-0234. I just installed it less than a month ago so its pretty fresh in my mind. If you need some more pictures or a diagram of how to route it let me know.

Yeah I looked up the part number and its the same as the one you listed.  If you could tell me or throw pictures or a diagram up of how you routed and attached your cables that would be so helpful.  I did my best to remember how it was when i took it apart but like i said its not hooking up right so my guess is I remember wrong.  Any help you can give would be amazing and much appreciated!

Also--

Try to assemble the throte tube and housing without cables. Visualize twisting back and see which cable end rotates such that it would pull cable.

And/or--

Just work on installing the single, pull cable and getting that to work. It is all many of us use anyway and may simplify the snarl enough that you can figure it out.

I hope this helps. I realized you can't really see much with the headlight shroud and gas tank on the bike. You can see the cable with the adjustment on it is the pull cable and goes on the throttle tube side closest to you if you're sitting on the bike. That cable goes on the throttle pulley (carburetor end) side closest to the back of the bike. So just like it goes on the throttle tube: front cable front of pulley, back cable back of pulley. I took pictures of my Haynes manual installation section for you. I remember seeing a diagram of the routing somewhere but can not find it. My cable goes from the throttle tube, down behind the headlight and to the left side of the bike. It then runs along the frame about half way to where the tank sits and then goes underneath the frame and down to the pulley. You will want to loosen up all your adjustments to get it in the bracket above the throttle pulley. Before you put the cable in that bracket though you want to get the ends of the cable set in the pulley, then get the threaded part of it in to the bracket above the pulley. Once you have that in you can adjust everything as needed but it is much easier to work with it completely loosened up. Don't underestimate the spring on the pulley, you might need to use some needle nose pliers and your dexterity to get the cables situated correctly. It can be a bit of a pain.

Well, I was going to add photos to this post but apparently I made them WAY to big. So here is a link to the album where they are sized normally and you can enlarge them if needed. Good luck and let me know if you need a clearer explanation on anything.

http://imgur.com/a/giz8C

• Like 1