Sign in to follow this  

Beta Xtrainer test ride review

we finally got to ride a beta xtrainer for several days, it's taken ages to get them here down under... what an awesome bike! i think the RR300 will be going up for sale soon, the xtrainer is simply more of a good thing. 

i'd agree with all the other xtrainer reviews i've read - it suits entry level riders right through to top extreme enduro riders - but as long as the top riders are constantly getting huge air and riding at top speed. it certainly is capable of being ridden around a motocross track... we had a top rider do exactly that and he was very surprised at how well it went, but it's not intended for that sort of riding.

for tight technical riding it is superb, for everyday dirt riding it is still great, but it's limitations begin as the speed picks up due to its deliberately plush suspension and less travel. 

very hard to find fault with the xtrainer, given it's intended purpose. a kickstarter would have been nice, but the starter motors are brilliant on the betas and they did set out to make it as light as possible so it makes sense, and obviously is part of the reason the bike is much cheaper than full sized enduro bikes. 

how would it go for the beginner? it's very light and has the low seat height, but there's plenty of low end grunt too which might not suit the novice rider... i forgot to turn the power valve in completely to see how docile the engine could get, but once a rider had a little bit of experience then this bike would be perfect.

i remember a few years ago being very keen to test ride the ktm freeride 250, thinking it would be perfect for the technical riding we do, but it was simply too much of a trials bike. i reckon beta have really hit the nail on the head with the xtrainer and suspect many will think likewise.

• Like 8

Nice review. Follow your channel, it's awesome. Keep up the gumby riding. Looks like you have some awesome trails over there. Wife has the x-trainer and it is fun to ride. And a lot easier to tackle the gnarly stuff.

Very thorough and entertaining review (as always); good presentation of the XT in its native habitat. You have the most useful dirt bike channel on Youtube, keep it up. I have an XT on order.

Edited by drdanbozeman
  • Like 1

Hey Barry, 

Great vid as always!  When you get a chance, can you identify the LHB/Clutch lever and the CF pipe guard?  Are you running a Rekluse clutch?

Thanks, M.

Edited by Magile

What he said. Whatever the hell he said. : The columbo volume has been increased to capacitate the new so and so.: What I don't understand is why they didn't do that from the get go?

Edited by widebear

Hey Barry, 

Great vid as always!  When you get a chance, can you identify the LHB/Clutch lever and the CF pipe guard?  Are you running a Rekluse clutch?

Thanks, M.

the test bike was running a clake 2, which i actually reviewed more than a year ago, it was identified in the vid and there was a direct link in the vid to the review if that helps. 

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 1

What he said. Whatever the hell he said. : The columbo volume has been increased to capacitate the new so and so.: What I don't understand is why they didn't do that from the get go?

LOL, the translation needed interpretation. 

As you can see, it has also touched me to "push" with the Beta X-Trainer.

You know the saying:

"When there Enduro Güeno ... Push the King pushes the pope. In pushing no one escapes." However, I think I've got the right change.

There are few things that you fear cope with this bike, making outputs "lentorras and tiresome."

Or the least I think ... when I get used to the touch of the accelerator.

we finally got to ride a beta xtrainer for several days, it's taken ages to get them here down under... what an awesome bike! i think the RR300 will be going up for sale soon, the xtrainer is simply more of a good thing. 

i'd agree with all the other xtrainer reviews i've read - it suits entry level riders right through to top extreme enduro riders - but as long as the top riders are constantly getting huge air and riding at top speed. it certainly is capable of being ridden around a motocross track... we had a top rider do exactly that and he was very surprised at how well it went, but it's not intended for that sort of riding.

for tight technical riding it is superb, for everyday dirt riding it is still great, but it's limitations begin as the speed picks up due to its deliberately plush suspension and less travel. 

very hard to find fault with the xtrainer, given it's intended purpose. a kickstarter would have been nice, but the starter motors are brilliant on the betas and they did set out to make it as light as possible so it makes sense, and obviously is part of the reason the bike is much cheaper than full sized enduro bikes. 

how would it go for the beginner? it's very light and has the low seat height, but there's plenty of low end grunt too which might not suit the novice rider... i forgot to turn the power valve in completely to see how docile the engine could get, but once a rider had a little bit of experience then this bike would be perfect.

i remember a few years ago being very keen to test ride the ktm freeride 250, thinking it would be perfect for the technical riding we do, but it was simply too much of a trials bike. i reckon beta have really hit the nail on the head with the xtrainer and suspect many will think likewise.

Barry, yes it is an awesome bike, but I'm very surprised you would give up the 300 RR for it.  Given your height and riding abilities I would think the XT to be smallish and much too softly suspended.  Heck I'm 5'7" 155 lbs and I find it too soft stock and rather than sinking money into the suspension I'm just going to an RR, although not just because of that but because I became a dealer and want to use an RR for a demo bike. 

It is no doubt a ton of fun plunking along and playing on the hills and rocks and your type of crosstraining riding, but on the trails it's just too sketchy, and I'm not talking high speeds either. 

So almost as good as a DR 650? 

Almost but not quite. As you'll know from some of my previous vids, the DR650 will whip the ass of any KTM but the Beta Xtrainer was just slightly more nimble and lighter than Suzuki's bushpig. 

You'll see in the vid below the DR650 can be pivot turned 90 degrees easily but can't match the Xtrainer in this respect, but it can be wheelied easier and longer than the Beta. 

Barry, yes it is an awesome bike, but I'm very surprised you would give up the 300 RR for it.  Given your height and riding abilities I would think the XT to be smallish and much too softly suspended....

true, but i'm trying to avoid faster riding as much as possible with these creaky old bones of mine, even when we are occasionally on more open trails i just plod along nowadays (although occasionally try to up the pace a bit if i'm filming so viewers don't totally fall asleep). :)

• Like 2

a mate of mine just picked up his 2016 beta xtrainer, i thought his first impressions would be interesting has he describes himself as an everyday trail hack and it seems these guys the main ones lining up to buy beta's new toy...

• Like 1

some guys are buying xtrainers the immediately spending big bucks on major suspension tuning to try and make it more like a RR300... like any dirt bike it's set up for featherweights of around 80kg so chances are you will want stiffer springs if you weigh a fair bit more than that. but i reckon it's always worth looking at cheaper do-it-yourself mods first, i liked this one from one of the guys on another forum. 

Courtesy of Roon, Dirt Bike World forum
If you want the forks to handle bigger and/or faster hits, remove the left leg, unscrew the top cap, drain the factory 5W oil and refill with 500mls of 15W fork oil. Wind the rebound in (this also increases the compression damping) and put some preload on the spring in the RH leg. I wound on the rebound and compression on the shock as well. I did this for the weekend and found the fork rode higher in the stroke, didn't pogo and still was nice and supple for all the gnarly stuff, I don't think I'll change the spring rate (BETA Aus now has higher rate XT springs in stock).
  • Like 1