Sign in to follow this  

EFI & Idle ?

I have a 2015 CRF 450R which is only a few months old with three rides and 2 hair scrambles races, it is all stock except I just had Tokyo mods reprogram the ECU. The last race which was around 2000 + feet elevation I really had to turn up the idle up to keep the bike from stalling and I had ridden the bike at 5000 feet before.

So my question is will I have to keep adjusting the idle as i range from sea level to elevation? I thought the fuel injection would do that. I realize this bike is prone to flameouts and I need the idle a little higher than normal with the Rekluse clutch.

MAP sensor does nothing to idle speed, its output is an input to fueling.

Map sensor adjusts voltage to the fuel injection so you don't need to adjust idle for elevation changes the way I understand it. My idle set at 2000 RPM at 5280ft. stays 2000 RPM when I go to Texas at 500 ft.

Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor senses atmospheric pressure and changes overall mixture accordingly. Like changing jetting for altitude changes. It can also command the ECU to add fuel like an accelerator pump when it senses abrupt vacuum changes at throttle plate tip-in. Correcting fuel mapping does a lot to keep idle rpm the same.

Map sensor adjusts voltage to the fuel injection so you don't need to adjust idle for elevation changes the way I understand it. My idle set at 2000 RPM at 5280ft. stays 2000 RPM when I go to Texas at 500 ft.

Edited by Eddie8v

Exactly. Unlike carbed bikes that the idle was all jacked up with altitude changes, all due to the need for jetting changes. Rekluse clutches are extremely dependant on idle consistancy for engagement predictability.

Exactly. Unlike carbed bikes that the idle was all jacked up with altitude changes, all due to the need for jetting changes. Rekluse clutches are extremely dependant on idle consistancy for engagement predictability.

NO,

there is no idle control solenoid on these bikes, the idle bypass circuit is not computer controlled.

fueling however is.