Sign in to follow this  

suspension questions..

I bought my daughter an 02 XR50 and I'd like to freshen up the suspension. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ on something like a fox shock, but everything I can find in the moderate price range is for 200+ lb riders.  Am I missing something here?  A new OEM rear shock is around $155.  I see tons of inexpensive options on ebay, but only for heavy rider / pit bike setups.  Does anyone have a recommendation for replacements for a 50lb six year old kid?  We're not planning to race this bike, but would like to have some fun playing at the kids track.

I'm new to these 50s, so any advice would be appreciated.  The bike is stock.  No extended swingarm.  That actually brings up another question.  Does anyone know the stock shock size (eye to eye)?  I see different sizes out on ebay but not able to find info on the stock size for this bike.

I should add that I believe the rear shock is blown.  kickstand down and the bike sits almost straight upright.  a gentle breeze blows it over.  Doesnt seem to have any real rebound to it.  I'm assuming previous owner had adults riding it a lot.  

Edited by rvogtmann