Sign in to follow this  

2006 crf250r throttle

I'm not sure how to explain this so bare with me lol. I noticed when I pull my throttle in its not popping back to place like it should. It goes back super slow. I started it and tried to revbthe engine and it shut off. What could this be? I also noticed my last ride it was a bitch to start hot. And yes I used the hot start properly and also gave it time to cool down.

The throttle tube might be binding on the end of the handle bar. Loosen off the 2 screws that hold the throttle to the handle bars slightly and move the tube out slightly and play with the throttle to see if it snaps closed. Then tighten and check again

Hope this makes sense

I have an '06 and this exact same thing happened to my throttle. I took it completely apart and thoroughly cleaned it then greased it a little. This helped some. Then I replaced both throttle cables and everything worked great.

Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure your cable routing is correct. If they are run incorrectly it will cause unnecessary binding. Every bend in the cable adds friction and the tighter those bends that friction becomes multiplied.

As far as the trouble starting hot I've never had this happen unless my valves are closed. But then it's always hard to start. Just make sure you're not popping the throttle until you know for sure its not going to start without it. I've seen guys flood the carb doing this. Mine never needs throttle to start unless the valves are starting to close. It'll crank right up by just pushing in the hot start and kicking simultaneously. One or two kicks should be sufficient when everything is working correctly.

Before you go tearing into things, there's an adjustment nut underneath the rubber boot to the left of the throttle. Loosen the locknut and turn the larger nut (attached to cable) clockwise (towards the throttle). All it takes is a turn or two to make a difference. It's possible that the cable nut may already be adjusted all the way towards the throttle, in which case a cleaning and other adjustments are in order. Might as well check the easiest thing first. If that fixes the problem, then tighten up the lock nut to retain the setting and slide the boot back on. If you want to go the extra mile (which you periodically should), take the throttle apart, clean everything real well with contact cleaner--including the cables, then lube the cables with a dry lubricant. If you want to do it right, you should loosen the cables from the carb end as well so you can work the cables back and forth while cleaning and lubing. Things are tight as I'm sure you know, but you'll be glad you did.

Edited by mossman77

Before you go tearing into things, there's an adjustment nut underneath the rubber boot to the left of the throttle. Loosen the locknut and turn the larger nut (attached to cable) clockwise (towards the throttle). All it takes is a turn or two to make a difference. It's possible that the cable nut may already be adjusted all the way towards the throttle, in which case a cleaning and other adjustments are in order. Might as well check the easiest thing first. If that fixes the problem, then tighten up the lock nut to retain the setting and slide the boot back on. If you want to go the extra mile (which you periodically should), take the throttle apart, clean everything real well with contact cleaner--including the cables, then lube the cables with a dry lubricant. If you want to do it right, you should loosen the cables from the carb end as well so you can work the cables back and forth while cleaning and lubing. Things are tight as I'm sure you know, but you'll be glad you did.

I did check the settings and that didn't work. I took the throttle apart and can't get the bitch back together lol. Taking it to my uncle tomorrow. But I did lube them up and cleaned the area so we're good there.

Yeah, it can be a little tricky to get back together. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.