Sign in to follow this  

1986 XR200R NO SPARK!

So I finally finished up my XR200R after a very thorough refurbishing. For some reason though, I'm not getting any spark. I have a factory Honda service manual and have studied the wiring harness and tested the components individually and they all seemed to test correctly. I'm at the point where I can't understand what's stopping the spark. It worked before I refurbished the bike so I'm really confused... The only thing I have noticed that is not correct is that the wiring diagram for the bike shows a single green ground under the headlight that has 2 inputs for the kill switch and the headlight. But, on my bike there are 2 separate green wires, one female and one male. The headlight is trying to come on while kicking so that's good. I even cut all the tape off the wiring harness and it is all in good shape. I also used die electric grease on all the connectors and double checked the connections. I'm just totally stuck. Please help!!!

Been there a few times.

In Honda speak a green wire is alway ground, sometimes with a trace color for a special ground.

You also need a good clean ground point on the frame, usually it is near to the coil.  With a freshly repaint engine or frame you can have poor ground connections, so clean the ground point to bare metal. I have also added a jumper wire between the ground point and a cam cover bolt on the engine.

Kill switches are a common problem source and its ground wire should go to the frame ground.  Disconnect the switch and check for spark.

The ignition advancer unit can be assembled 180 out; you will have spark but it will be at just before TDC overlap so the bike won't start.

The spark plug boot to plug wire can become corroded and/or damaged.  Some plug boots are removable so you can remove it and cut 1/4" off the plug wire and reinstall.

Some wire connections such as headlight and the alternator are single bullet connectors so check to see if the wire colors on each connection match, if not do the colors match the wiring schematic for that connection.

The advancer to sensor clearance should be 0.012-0.18", I set mine at 0.012"

Been there a few times.

In Honda speak a green wire is alway ground, sometimes with a trace color for a special ground.

You also need a good clean ground point on the frame, usually it is near to the coil. With a freshly repaint engine or frame you can have poor ground connections, so clean the ground point to bare metal. I have also added a jumper wire between the ground point and a cam cover bolt on the engine.

Kill switches are a common problem source and its ground wire should go to the frame ground. Disconnect the switch and check for spark.

The ignition advancer unit can be assembled 180 out; you will have spark but it will be at just before TDC overlap so the bike won't start.

The spark plug boot to plug wire can become corroded and/or damaged. Some plug boots are removable so you can remove it and cut 1/4" off the plug wire and reinstall.

Some wire connections such as headlight and the alternator are single bullet connectors so check to see if the wire colors on each connection match, if not do the colors match the wiring schematic for that connection.

The advancer to sensor clearance should be 0.012-0.18", I set mine at 0.012"

Thanks for the reply! I actually made certain to check for good ground. I cleaned the frame ground with my dremel tool and used die electric grease on the connector. Also I have checked the advancer clearance and measured .014 and that is literally in the middle of the service manual spec. The spark plug wire has been cut and is stretched to its limit and is short so I am

going to order a new coil and wire. I also already disconnected the kill switch and no change.

My main concern is that the service manual shows a green double female connector behind the headlight for the ground that is used for the kill switch and headlight. The kill switch uses a black wire with a green collar for that connect. The thing is, my bike has 2 different green wires, one male and one female for the headlight and kill switch.

What makes me crazy is that when I bought this bike, I started it for like 60 seconds and rode it in my yard before tearing it down and doing all the work. The engine has great compression and I didn't feel the need to rebuild it yet, however the bike got a FULL work over with ALL new bearings and brakes and the works! But when I reassembled everything I have no spark!!!

The kill switch and the head light should have all male bullet conectors unless a PO changed something: 86-88 wiring diagram.

86-88 XR20 Wiring Diagram .JPG

CDI Testing Table

Electrical 84-85_XR200R_XR250R_CDI_Testing_Table.gif

Edited by Chuck.

Update, I win. Haha after searching and testing and thinking hard I finally fixed the issue. It turns out that the kill switch needs to be grounded through its body to the handlebar. The new handlebars I got were powder coated and did not allow the switch to ground properly. Broke out my dremel and shaved it up, bike cranked first kick! Success!

Another insulator from ground is the grease in the steering head bearings.

I suggest using a two wire kill switch so one wire goes back to the ground point at the coil, the stock wiring harness has bullet connectors at the steering head to do that. 

Another insulator from ground is the grease in the steering head bearings.

I suggest using a two wire kill switch so one wire goes back to the ground point at the coil, the stock wiring harness has bullet connectors at the steering head to do that. 

I replaced my steering stem bearings and races and I did pack them good with Maxima grease... My kill switch is a 2 wire set up, one green and one black and white. The bullet connectors aren't factory so I think something is fishy with the wiring... PO must have done some rigging. I must say the bike had a bit more power than I expected! Should be very fun to play with  :ride: