Sign in to follow this  

crf250 valve keeper?

My 250 shut off on me during my last ride.  Automatically figured it was the famous valve issue.  I immediately tore it down and found one of my intake valves tightened up.  Then i found out the valve keeper was out.  Nothing else seems bad.  Should I put new valves in?  Should I put in a new piston / rings while i'm in there?  I've had the bike almost two years with just a small amount of riding mostly around the farm with the kids.

Photo Nov 06, 8 10 24 PM.jpg

Photo Nov 06, 8 10 54 PM.jpg

It sounds like to don't ride much so I'd throw a need keeper in it and put it back together. But check to see if there is anything suck in where the keeper sits in the top of the valve.

Agreed. I had this same exact thing happen to me and I resolved it the same way without issues.

Unfortunately it did cause some damage to my piston and that one valve. But I left the other three valves alone and only replaced the one valve and jewelry, along with a new piston and rings of course. But then again I only had 4 hours on that top end as I had just rebuilt it.

Just make darn sure you find all the material for the keepers. Part of mine had gone down the timing chain slot and was hidden on the flywheel.

If you look close in the pics you can see the valve is very slightly bent. Also notice how many pieces the keepers were broken into, hint hint hint.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446874331.113366.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446874379.517833.jpg

No no no no, never just put something like that back together and run it!!! You're asking for a huge repair bill. The retainer and valve stem are likely compromised and won't work as well as originally intended any longer. You can have the valve stem reviewed for proper dimensions, but you absolutely need to install a new retainer, keepers and valve spring. There's a reason the thing came apart! Just putting it back together cures nothing.

• Like 1

Eddie you're right. I hope my post was not misleading. I was not suggesting to just replace the keepers. He needs to replace the valve and all its accompanying jewelry. What I was suggesting was that he may not have to mess with any of the other valves. Of course that's assuming they are relatively low hours. I'm suggesting this as a possible alternative to an entire top end.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ok. Thanks guys. I think I'll carry the head to a real mechanic. I certainly don't want bigger issues down the road

Springs, retainers and valve keepers/locks should be replaced as preventive maintenance. My plan is to replace them at 100hrs when I put a fresh piston in.