Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 Oil Consumption 800 Miles Low Oil

Hey, just making sure my oil consumption is within specs, other posts are kinda vague. I ride what I consider to be hard.  Always in 5th going 50-75mph for 30-60 minutes at a time. I topped my Oil off (Almost 2 quarts/litters) and after 800 miles or so I'm below the low mark on the dipstick. Yes, I know how to properly check my Oil level. I do not have leaks. I do have the black breather box. I use 10-40w Suzuki performance motor oil. 13,000 Miles on original engine.

IMG_2100_zps8vx1dkww.jpg

Edited by Strattton

She'll burn more oil at those speeds/power settings.

It wouldn't take much oil to raise the level on the dipstick.

With 800 mi, at those speeds and 13k overall, I don't see any clear issue with oil consumption.

Edited by shuswap1

Thats VERY low...  no bueno,   i have the same milage and do the same type of riding,  but out here we have to be doing around 80-85,  i use 20w-50 and have never had any oil loss,   i also dropped down the rear sprocket by 3 teeth and it helped relax the RPM's a lot,  i recommend you do the same. 

That is probably 4 to 6 oz of oil low.  Not a big deal.

+1 normal oil consumption.

next time you can try an higher quality oil. 100% sinth with high viscosity index and high flash point

Edited by 30x26

Hey, just making sure my oil consumption is within specs, other posts are kinda vague. I ride what I consider to be hard.  Always in 5th going 50-75mph for 30-60 minutes at a time. I topped my Oil off (Almost 2 quarts/litters) and after 800 miles or so I'm below the low mark on the dipstick. Yes, I know how to properly check my Oil level. I do not have leaks. I do have the black breather box. I use 10-40w Suzuki performance motor oil. 13,000 Miles on original engine.

IMG_2100_zps8vx1dkww.jpg

it's on the hashmarks, so it's normal. high rpm riding burns more oil. if you were to commute at 40-55mph, you would see much less being used. 

if you want to add some in between oil changes, that's fine. the engine won't care if it's missing 1/10th or 1/5th of a quart, like yours is. 

no biggie. 

Sustained WOT can cause oil to be burned. 

Just as a reference, I just got back form the CDR (continental divide ride) about 2 months ago. I did one oil change at about 2500miles. After that, I rode from the canadian border to flagstaff Az all highway...... about 1000 miles at about 65mph. During that time, I did not have any decrease in oil level. My drz now has 10,111 miles. 

My opinion, your bike is burning oil. Maybe not a terrible thing, but i can tell you, my bike does not burn that much after only 800miles. 

I get the same results with OEM oil. I do tend to rev it higher now riding as opposed to before when I was scared to rev the engine. I have to add in a lot more oil than that within 1000 miles.

I kept thinking it was the coolant needs to be flushed my motor is at 13k miles but I popped it open last night to take a look at the coolant level and it's still full but the motor does feel like it runs out so I'm not sure still

Edited by outlaws