Sign in to follow this  

Front Wheel Wobble

I will probably be purchasing a new Yamaha XT250 in the spring.  In my research regarding this bike there seems to be a lot of folk experiencing front wheel wobble at speeds above 60mph.  What is this?  How serious is it?  Would a new rider find this to be a dangerous situation?  I'd hate to have to make immediate tire or whatever changes on a brand new motorcycle. 

Yes, a new rider would def find this a dangerous situation.

It helps to know a little about the mechanics of motorcycles, so good on ya for reseaching all this ahead of time. There are other things beside faulty tires that can cause steering issues like that. A new bike is taken out of a crate by the dealer and put together, and not necessarily set up optimally.

If you're riding it on the road you'll want to be sure the tire pressures are proper and that the wheel/tire assemblies have been balanced.

Make sure the dealer hasn't overtightened the steering head when they put it together.

The fork tubes may be installed really high in the triple clamps. For road riding at those speeds, set them so the tops of the forks are flush/near flush with the top of the top triple clamp.

Have them set the rear suspension sag for you, with you there to sit the bike, before taking delivery.

Edited by Trailryder42

Did you purchase this bike? I have a 2010. The new ones look great, fuel injection will be a great improvement. I had awful front wheel wobble as a new rider on it when I had a dealership put on new tires. They didn't balance them at all and didn't warn me. Took it right onto the highway and pinned it up to 110kms and nearly crashed. It was awful. But it certainly wasn't the bike! Balanced those same wheels and it improved. Always had a bit of a wobble in certain conditions after that. Wind, road smoothness seem to effect it most. But the bike doesn't do much more than 110kms anyways, and what little wobble there was at that was manageable. I just started to ride a ktm350exc, and the wobble is worse out of the box at 100kms than the xt was. It's a lighter bike, need to balance the wheels again. The back tire dribbles, which the xt never did. Anyways, all bikes have their quirks and need tweaking. That's half the fun :)

shorty:  I bought a brand new 2015 last December because my local dealer had one for $700 lower than the msrp. :ride:   No endorsement yet so I've just been riding it on dirt on my four acres.  I'll take the MSF basic rider class in March, get my endorsement and let you know how it handles on pavement.  110 kms (68 mph) is a bit more than I want or need to go anyway.  I'll work my way up to 95 kms gradually as I don't like surprises.  My riding will mostly be on gravel roads and off-road trails so a more aggresive set of tires will most likely be mounted when the time comes.  I like slow.  At a young sixty-five, speed is no longer on the menu.

• Like 1

That's great you got the bike! Sounds like a great fit. It's not snappy but powers through everything on trails, and is super solid on gravel. Enjoy :)