Titanium spring vs steel spring

Right now I have the stock ti spring on my 2014 yz250, and after alot of tweaking im happy with how the suspension feels. My ideal spring rate for my riding type/weight is a 5.1. Is it worth going from a titanium 4.9 to a steel 5.1? I've heard different opinions on the titanium, and wanted to know what you guys think.

what do you weigh?  if your ideal rate is that close, I would try and get away with the stock ti spring.  im 210-215lbs and i had togo to a 5.8 .48 combo.

Just did the rate calculations, if you need a 5.1 you are around 160lbs. Leave the stock springs in. Anything under 180lbs the stock springs do a great job.

I would just run the stocker, and According to teh race tech calculator it says you would need 5.4. When i was looking for springs for my bike, i checked race tech, called facotry connection, enzo, rmr, proaction. all those shops said the same rates pretty much. so I trust the race tech calculator

enzo is the same, they reccomend rates to me that would suit a 185 lb rider.  set sag at 105 and just ride it. I spent half the season on stock springs on mine doing mx 3-4 days a week. im 200lbs free sag was a bit off but still could get 105mm sag and it handled great.

You would definitely feel the difference between a 4.9 and 5.1.  I have a 4.9 on one of my YZs, and a 5.1 on the other.  Both are steel springs, and rates have been verified by my suspension guy.  It happened because I was a little heavier when one bike was revalved/re-sprung than when the other bike was done.  I can't tell you what spring rate you would like better, but I can tell you that you will notice the difference.

• Like 1

You would definitely feel the difference between a 4.9 and 5.1. I have a 4.9 on one of my YZs, and a 5.1 on the other. Both are steel springs, and rates have been verified by my suspension guy. It happened because I was a little heavier when one bike was revalved/re-sprung than when the other bike was done. I can't tell you what spring rate you would like better, but I can tell you that you will notice the difference.

No two bikes are alike, regardless on how similar you can set them up. Minor valving changes, sag, fork height, tire pressure etc etc can all be factored in when I comes to suspension action. I would bet heavy money that 90% of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

You would definitely feel the difference between a 4.9 and 5.1.  I have a 4.9 on one of my YZs, and a 5.1 on the other.  Both are steel springs, and rates have been verified by my suspension guy.  It happened because I was a little heavier when one bike was revalved/re-sprung than when the other bike was done.  I can't tell you what spring rate you would like better, but I can tell you that you will notice the difference.

I couldn't even notice the difference from a 5.1 to 5.5, other than slight effect on sag (which of course is the only reason for switching). Of course it's hard to remember what the old spring felt like.

I couldn't even notice the difference from a 5.1 to 5.5, other than slight effect on sag (which of course is the only reason for switching). Of course it's hard to remember what the old spring felt like.

Yes, I am sure it would be hard to tell under those conditions.  But I am regularly switching back and forth between bikes, even on the same day.  Both bikes have be revalved to the same spec by the same tuner, and I always run the same bike setup.  Under these conditions, the difference in spring rate is very noticeable.  I'm not sure which I like better, but the difference is very obvious, and I would think that anyone would pick up on it immediately.