Sign in to follow this  

Trailtech vapor RPM reading is off

I just installed a trailtech vapor speedo. According to the display I'm redlining at about 6k and idling super low. So I'm guessing something is off with the tach settings. Anyone have any advice?

There is a resister, or similar, that goes inline to cleanup the signal sometimes , I've not had many of mine not work but one currently doesn't and needs it. Call Trailtech for better info on that. Also inside the setup of the Vapor you set the pulses and rate per rev ect.. There are three setting that control how it reads the signal . It is in the booklet that comes with the Vapor.

Edited by jjktmrider

I used the correct pulse rate to my knowledge. I also used 5 wraps around the spark plug wire. So I don't think it's user error.

Pulse rate for a DRZ is 1. You have a choice between 1/2, 1 and 2.  The CDI gives a nice clean signal you should not need any resisters.  I think you need to reset the pulse rate.  You can also pick up the signal from the white wire to the coil.  You would need to connect to the white wire not just wrap it.

• Like 1

The pulse rate is set to 1 by default.  What is the CDI?  

Capacitor discharge ignition (CDI).  It is one if several kinds of ignition system used on motorcycles.  An electronic oscillator steps up 12 volts DC to several hundred volts and stores it in a capacitor. When the control system says make a spark the capacitor is discharged into the ignition coil.  The rapid rise (flux change) induces a current in the secondary coil of the ignition coil (really a transformer) and a spark is created across the spark plug electrode.  CDI systems are very resistant to fowling plugs.

Yes the vapor is default set to a pulse rate of 1, but that is still your problem.  Cycle thru the program and make sure it is set to 1.  Only takes a moment.

Did that fix it? I've got a new Vapor to install on my '01 DRZ400E as soon as we're moved into the new house.  Just trying to stay up on any issues.

1911fan

Switched the PPR to 2 and then back to 1. Still the same issue.