Sign in to follow this  

Tying down bike with tool box?

I just got a new (used)pickup and had to put my truck box on it. Now both of my front top tie down points are covered and my bottom ones do not seem like they would work either.If any of you guys have any ideas on how to tie my bike down it would be appreciated!

Edited by mat77

I just got a new (used)pickup and had to put my truck box on it. Now both of my front top tie down points are covered and my bottom ones do not seem like they would work either.If any of you guys have any ideas on how to tie my bike down it would be appreciated!

Put some EYE bolts in the tool box or the bed of your truck (if you don't mind drilling holes in your bed).

Put some EYE bolts in the tool box or the bed of your truck (if you don't mind drilling holes in your bed).

Thats a good idea! I think I will put some through the toolbox with some big washers on the inside.Thanks bud

You had better attach that tool box with much better bolts than normally used. I would use another tie down point in the bed of the truck.

Use some really long straps (or two per side) and hook to the frame rails between the cab and bed. Route the straps so that they catch the corners of the toolbox and crank em down. Wish I had a picture but it should be pretty self explanatory once you try it. Hauled 1 or 2 bikes in the back of a '92 Dodge D150 with a toolbox nearly every other weekend like this for years, never had a issue.

• Like 1

I used 1/2" I-bolts and fender washers to attach the box, with the eye under the bed rail. Then used E-track in the center of the box. The E-track stiffens the box. Since the front wheel likes to move around a lot on that diamond plate, I made "wheel chocks" out of 4" ABS pipe.

20140602_202140_resized_zps1b037577.jpg

Edited by ubu
  • Like 4

Late post but when I had a toolbox, I tied my bike down normal...I used tie down extensions that wrap around the bars to get a better angle but the strap would rest against the bottom of the toolbox but no biggie.