Sign in to follow this  

Flo Commander for FCR carbs

Do any members on this forum use the Flo commander 2000 made by the people at performance design . net. I am considering purchasing this adapter to go between my air box and my Fcr carb for my 650l as it may have some advantages over the Noss adapter.

Sorry Eric. The website is performance design.net. You have to separate the words performance and design.I use Google as a search engine.

Edited by Brad K

Interesting read. It reminds me of the velocity stacks made back in the 60s & 70s. It is hard to believe that the factory doesn't do R&D to have the proper flow. If it is so good, do all the racers use them?

I believe my carb is from a 2005 450 and does not have the integrated bell. If I can post some pictures of my carb I will. It appears to have the same type of intake as seen on thumpertalk with the available Noss adapter,and also looks the same as the intake as the carb's on performance designs website.The intake measures 54 mm externally with no screw hole to attach the commander and has a tab which I believe keeps the the airbox neck in place likely. I will be contacting performance designs to discuss how to secure this adapter to my carb as I have not yet purchased one. They also sell a nice lowering link for my bike which I may purchase so I can teach my son how to drive a bike. My son is a couple inches shorter than me.

I believe 1 great advantage to this adapter other than easy tuning adjustability is that if elevation changes, adjustments can be made easily to accommodate this.

Bork. That is a good ? I have found nothing online where 650 l owners use this product and this puzzles me.

Yes as above, you would need a non-Honda FCR carb so that it will have a removeable intake bell.

The NOSS adaptor provides the same tapered beveled intake cone, just as a byproduct of its function of taking a smaller diameter intake bell and adapting it up to a larger diameter one.

It's an interesting idea to have tapered needles to adjust the two air channels. I think some variants of FCR carb have interchangeable jets in those passages.

As far as I can tell, my fcr carb does not have what is called an integrated intake bell. They mention that this type of bell does not work with the Flo Commander. If I am able to post a picture of my Fcr carb I will.

The flo commander is meant to fit the original FCR carbs with bolt on bells, and NOT the FCR-MX2 with integrated bell (just about every FCR on a dirt bike since 2001 or so).

If someone had a carb from a CRF, the too commander will not fit. If you are adapting a carb from a street bike, this will probably work.

SUDCO sold adjustable needle style jets to put in the bell of the original FCR carbs. I drilled out the holes slightly larger on the original FCR (SUDCO kit) I used to have on my 650R so I could easily slide a screwdriver in there to adjust the air jet screw (opposite of the fuel screw on the front/bottom of the FCR and similar to the air screw on the stock XR PJ).

I used a rubber intake boot and aluminum flange from a snowmobile intake I had to make an adapter to get from the stock XR airboot to the FCR-MX2 carb I'm using now (from an '07 450R). I would have loved to have been able to use the billet bell that was on my SUDCO sourced FCR but as you guys are seeing, the intake bell on the newer style FCRs does not bolt on.

In the pic Motorider2000 posted, the arrow points to the airjet that you could replace with the adjustable needle/seat setup allowing you to adjust the jet size with a screwdriver.

The bells are bolt on for the road racers that need to experiment with different bell lengths (that just stick up into the airbox) to tune power accordingly.

I just arrived home and my carb looks like it is from a Honda with the integrated bell. The inlet is 64 mm outside diameter. Does the Noss adapter work with this carb after filing off the ridge.If so does it get friction fitted to the inlet and get silicones prior to pushing it on. I did find a Pcv fitting and a rubber plumbing fitting which I could use like I saw on the internet that a fellow used on a xr 600. I see he manufactured an adapter for the 600 now that is blue in color,but it may not work with the 650 l.The rubber plumbing fitting and pvc adapter I feel should seal well,and I can probably improve and smooth airflow by routering the inside of the fitting with a bevel laminate trimming bit.I will have to shorten the fitting to the appropriate length of course as well as the rubber fitting. It is more important to me to keep dust from entering my engine than absolute performance.I will be cleaning and taking apart my carb to put the proper jetting and possibly a carb rebuild kit if required. Dot Coms and others suggestions should get me going in the right direction.I am hoping 2nd and 5th gears will become available again.I have yet to get my street licence but will get it in the spring.For now I have installed a 13 tooth front sprocket by Pbi and a 48 tooth rear. This has been a big improvement for off-road use.I am having trouble deciding on which larger tank go go with.Thanks to everyone for there suggestions.