Sign in to follow this  

Noobie needs Knobbies

'08 DR-Z400SM here.  Have a set of 18/21 wheels from an S.  Came with some rubber on them, but they are about 50% thru and I just rather get some new fresh tires on them.

So I'm looking for a good set of aggressive knobbiest for trail/woods, but want DOT because I will be riding to these places.  Road noise isn't important and there will be no riding on sand.

I want a good set of tires but not looking to break the bank.  So i'd like to stay under $100 if possible.  Basically best for the money.

I know there are countless threads on this, but tire selection changes over the years(lots of old threads) and since this will be going on an SM, not sure if there are any clearance differences between it and the S/E models as far as chain and swing arm goes.

Also, would like advice on tire sizes as well.  Rather get advice from you good folks than some random salesperson at CycleGear or something.

Tires i've narrowed down to(based on reviews and such) in my search:

- Dunlop D606

- Pirelli MT21

- Pirelli XCMH

Thanks!

Edited by LetMeBRAAAPthat

I just ordered the Kenda TM2's. Of those you list, I'd probably go with the XCMH's. Not a fan of the D606's, but I've only ever tried the front. (and I'm parroting on the others as I also have no first hand experience with them, but I did just start a tire thread and can boil it down from popular consensus)

I had brand new Dunlop 606's on my 03 DRZ it when I bought it this past spring. They are fine on the road and packed gravel roads, but get them into any sand, or soft loamy soil they are useless. I have tried many street legal dual sport tires over the years and have always been very happy with the Kenda 760 track master tires. They have great traction on road and in the mountains rocks, mud and soft soil they do very well. None of the street legal dual sport tires last very long to begin with why not get a set that work very well and are very inexpensive when compared the to others.Save yourself some money and enjoy maximum traction when off road. I just bought a set for 115 dollars delivered..

HTH

Eric M

Edited by yamifj1200
  • Like 5

The 606 is the tire that should have come stock. In other words, not the hardcore tire it looks next to the Deathwings. Is it a huge improvement over the Deathwing? Yes. Are there far better for mud, sand and loam? I think so.

With that, the 606 is smooth and quiet on the road, it will get you through the dirt, they handle crushed stone forest roads as good as any and hold up well in the rock and basalt.

My next tire will likely be the XCMH or the TM2, in that order.

'08 DR-Z400SM here.  Have a set of 18/21 wheels from an S.  Came with some rubber on them, but they are about 50% thru and I just rather get some new fresh tires on them.

So I'm looking for a good set of aggressive knobbiest for trail/woods, but want DOT because I will be riding to these places.  Road noise isn't important and there will be no riding on sand.

I want a good set of tires but not looking to break the bank.  So i'd like to stay under $100 if possible.  Basically best for the money.

I know there are countless threads on this, but tire selection changes over the years(lots of old threads) and since this will be going on an SM, not sure if there are any clearance differences between it and the S/E models as far as chain and swing arm goes.

Also, would like advice on tire sizes as well.  Rather get advice from you good folks than some random salesperson at CycleGear or something.

Tires i've narrowed down to(based on reviews and such) in my search:

- Dunlop D606

- Pirelli MT21

- Pirelli XCMH

Thanks!

FOrget the DOT stamps and you'll have a brand new world of choices that rock. 

If you HAVE to have the DOT stamp, it's pretty limited, and usually a 50/50 tire. The d606 and similar are NOT knobbies. 

• Like 1

Another vote for Trakmaster IIs. I paid more, but bought local. Buy online for the best price. 

• Like 2

Cross the 606 of the list if you want a good off-road tire. 606 suck, I fell for the good reviews and it was a big mistake must have been a bunch of slow oldies that gave the rave reviews

• Like 3

I keep up with my buddy and his son's WR450;s on D51's. A lot of what determines traction is in your right hand.

That said, they do feel vague in comparison to the 51's in the loam.

They definitely suck in the snow!

Another vote for Trakmaster IIs. I paid more, but bought local. Buy online for the best price. 

Yet another vote for Trakmaster II's. My new 2015 didn't leave the shop without them.

• Like 4

Yet another vote for Trakmaster II's. My new 2015 didn't leave the shop without them.

Rode mine from the dealer to house, had the TM2's waiting.  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

May I please have another.....Trakmaster ll's.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

How's that jingle go?...........Santa Claus is comin' to townnnnn. hahahahahaaaaaa TKII's heading south from the N.Pole

• Like 3

C7210_Surge-I_R.png

CST makes a good DOT knooby, i went with the 120/100-18 but it's very tall, next i'll go with the 110/90-18. Reasonable prices.

I like those Trackmasters also, a good soft terrain, mud, sand tire, but i chose these this time cuz their a little more of an all around intermediate tire.

And Signman, you must have a good wife, how far can you push this Christmas list?

Edited by bucket list
  • Like 4

The Kenda K270 in the rear is a good tire on and off road. But the 5.10-18 is a little too big to move with the stock engine IMHO. A 4.10 or 4.50-18 would be better. The front tire choice is really dependent on how much on or off you do. A little off and mostly on the K270 is fine. Mostly off then the K760 is better for soft terrain grip. In my experience with these tires. I can not comment on the other choices or brand because I have not used them yet. My rear K760 (TK2) wears faster on road. The K270 is quieter on road and lasts longer. The K270s are 50/50 tires. The TK2s are 90 off/ 10 on. For the most part the Kendas are a good tire for the price which helps. Oh and both kinds are DOT approved.

Edited by BurnCycle
  • Like 1

How's that jingle go?...........Santa Claus is comin' to townnnnn. hahahahahaaaaaa TKII's heading south from the N.Pole

Front & rear !!??

• Like 1

Front & rear !!??

Rear......front is pretty decent still, maybe during summer.

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 1

C7210_Surge-I_R.png

CST makes a good DOT knooby, i went with the 120/100-18 but it's very tall, next i'll go with the 110/90-18. Reasonable prices.

I like those Trackmasters also, a good soft terrain, mud, sand tire, but i chose these this time cuz their a little more of an all around intermediate tire.

And Signman, you must have a good wife, how far can you push this Christmas list?

Hahahaha, thanks, she does treat me good sometimes. As far as the bike goes, she's pretty modded out, about the only thing I haven't done is the suspension.....keep looking at my options, but no matter how I look at it, it's some more money. Would love to do what Tim, Bill and Noel have done...........

• Like 2

Hahahaha, thanks, she does treat me good sometimes. As far as the bike goes, she's pretty modded out, about the only thing I haven't done is the suspension.....keep looking at my options, but no matter how I look at it, it's some more money. Would love to do what Tim, Bill and Noel have done...........

AKA pumptrack, Throttle5 and npm :thumbsup:

• Like 2

AKA pumptrack, Throttle5 and npm :thumbsup:

Yeh, dey be the suspension Kings......... :smirk:

along with many others I haven't mentioned.

• Like 2