Sign in to follow this  

Rejet myself or take it to the shop to rejet?

I know the exact mods I plan on doing to my bike. It's a brand new TTR 230, 2015. I love the bike, but as everyone else pretty much agrees with...the basic uncork/rejet and regear mods are must!!

Anyway, I know the exact jets that I need to get, and I know that I have to drill out this little stopper so that I can access the mixture screw (California law requires this plug to come stock in the carb). I also know how to tell if the adjustment screw needs to be turned in/out based on how the bike is running (consensus after doing research says 2 turns out is a good setting).

So given that info...do you think I should try to rejet myself? My only previous experience with carb work is when I removed the carb on my old motorcycle in order to clean it. I never rejetted though.

Just wondering if it's safer to just take to the dealer and have them do it, or if I should just do it myself. It seems easy enough, but then again I don't want to overlook any "basics". Also, I'm not sure if the dealer will drill the stopper out in order to access the mixture screw.

What do you all think?

Edited by Irishman301

The hardest part is getting the carb off the bike. Might not even have to do that if you can loosen the front and rear clamps and turn the carb to one side. Access the float bowl screws, remove the bowl. Unscrew the stock jets, screw in the new jets and button it back up. Drilling the pilot screw access cover tho might be tricky with the carb on the bike. If you can turn the carb to the side enough, might be able to reach it with a drill motor, depending on how long the bit needs to be. You just need a small hole, then screw a sheet metal screw into it to get a bight, then yank out the plug.

Got any friends that are more experienced than you? Have them help. It's not hard and you need to be able to do this on your own anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ya I know that it's a good idea to learn how to do this stuff myself, which is why I think it would be a good idea to try it myself.

I already ordered the jets that I need. My main concern is the fact that I may end up running too rich/lean without knowing. However, I've done lots and lots of reading about this, so I think I should be okay.

I figured the hardest part would be getting the carb off the bike, but I have experience with that with my old motorcycle.

And I'm sure I could find someone to help me if I needed it, but I think I'll be okay...just a little nervous ya know..."if it's not broke, don't fix it" :).

Edited by Irishman301

Do it yourself. Its quite easy. I recently derestricted your exact year and model bike. I think I went up two on the main and one on the pilot and fiddled with the fuel screw a bit. Runs great, kept the gearing stock and put a used trials tire on it.

Did my wife's TTR225 earlier this year. Get some socket head screws for the bowl. I didn't have to take the carb out, just loosen and rotate.

The bowl screws are really soft and can be a bear to get out. If the screwdriver cams out you could have the same fun I had.

The op already rejeted. The bowl screws are not phillips; if you can get a JIS screwdriver, it will be easier next time. Thats what the little dot on the screw heads means, btw.

Edit: didn't mean to sound like a prick, very few people seem to know about JIS, including myself up until maybe last year.

Edited by clappedoutkx

Ya I already rejetted and replaced the float bowl screws with nice Allen head screws. I did end up stripping some screws, but vice grips got em right off. Definitely a good call replacing the screws asap!

I already ordered the jets that I need. My main concern is the fact that I may end up running too rich/lean without knowing.

You said you already bought the jets so what would the difference be, regarding that concern, if you handed the mechanic the bike/carb and jets and had them install the jets?

You said you already bought the jets so what would the difference be, regarding that concern, if you handed the mechanic the bike/carb and jets and had them install the jets?

It's already done, but my concern with going to a mechanic before was whether or not he would drill out the brass cap so you can access the fuel screw (necessary to do on my bike).

This thread is mad old though. People just keep re bumping it. It was done a while ago :).

The op already rejeted. The bowl screws are not phillips; if you can get a JIS screwdriver, it will be easier next time. Thats what the little dot on the screw heads means, btw.

Edit: didn't mean to sound like a prick, very few people seem to know about JIS, including myself up until maybe last year.

Thanks, and not at all, I appreciate your comments. I am well aware of the JIS screwdrivers. Impossible to find locally here although I know they have them online. I still haven't gotten around to getting one. I would need one for the cottage, one for home, and one for the travel tool kit. I'm changing almost everything JIS to socket head if I can. Besides the fact that a phillips will definitely cam out on you with a JIS screw, the screws themselves are garbage, especially ion the case of the bowl screws. I think they should be changed anyway, to JIS or whatever, but better material, so I bought SS socket head screws, and I'll never have to worry about having the right tool. The other advantage is that if I need to get the bowl off and I don;t want to pull the carb, I can use an allen key or a ball head socket and not have to worry about being off axis.

Yeah, i have also changed them to better hex or other types of screws in the past, and that works well for sure. I have owned alot of 'crotch rockets' and other pavement bikes in the past, and because of that I have a small collection of combination JIS/flathead screwdrivers that came in the toolkits. So I use them like driver bits in a drill, and carb work is crazy fast.

• Like 1