Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak

I have a 1993 Yamaha XT350 and it is leaking oil bad. I'm pretty sure it is coming from this gasket or somewhere over here. What is this gasket called and what does it look like???

1446935378867.jpg

1446935394698.jpg

I have a 1993 Yamaha XT350 and it is leaking oil bad. I'm pretty sure it is coming from this gasket or somewhere over here. What is this gasket called and what does it look like???

Hi there. You've lobbed this one into the ladies lounge, but never mind, I think I can help. That bit would be your stator cover. It's not likely to be the source of your oil leak, that cover isn't supposed to have oil behind it. The most likely culprit there would be countershaft seal, which is behind the drive sprocket.

Since there is a lot of oil and it's in a difficult spot you are going to have to get in there with some degreaser and a hose and clean up the oily mess to see where it's really coming out of. You have clean up before you pull anything apart anyway. Also, once you're done cleaning you might find that there is no leak. That could be because the bike needs to be moving for it to leak.

On that side of the engine there are two seals. One on the shaft that drives the mag rotor and on the counter shaft (sprocket shaft). The left side cover should come off dry, undo the shifter and the screws. The mag rotor comes off with a special puller.

Both seals are common sizes but if you get one aftermarket be sure to get a higher temperature seal.