Sign in to follow this  

Anyone do winter off road races?

HI, I just started racing this year trying out different series around my area to see which one I want to race next year. Surprisingly I did much better than I had expected and I don't want to be off the bike for 3-4 months because of winter so I have decided to run a winter GP series. I live in Ohio which is hit or miss with snow, but is usually pretty cold, I have a set of studded tires I made for when the ground freezes but what I don't know is what I should be wearing. I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on snowmobile gear as I don't think it will be quite cold enough to need them here in Ohio except on a few days in Jan and Feb and I don't want to be drenched in sweat and get sick from wearing too much cloths.

What kind of gear and what are some tips you all have come up with over the years?

Edited by mmmm waffles

Love the winter series here in western Wa.  Hare-scrambIes and GP. Track and trails are more mud/puddles than snow, but the temps can get close to freezing.  Grip heaters do a good job on cold or wet conditions.  Don't wear to much clothing or you will overheat quickly.  I have waterproof boots to keep the cold liquids out, friend uses sealskins waterproof sock and says they work well.

I ride the winter series here in Wetter WA as well. When it gets cold enough I wear light weight "wicking" thermals. The type that are made of nylon (I think). They work good, don't hold water and I don't overheat wearing them.

I doubt that a race series will let you tear trails up with a studded tire, but who knows.