Sign in to follow this  

leaking oil.

Hello all. I have a 2010 kx250f that is leaking oil from the crank vent (I searched I promise). To start off I purchased the bike used about 2 years ago and it has been great. Well this year I started having starting problems and noticed one Intake valve was getting tight pretty rapidly, so after reading up here the head was shipped off to Dave at mxtime. Well once I got the head off I noticed some scoring on the cylinder so I said why not and installed a cylinder works big bore kit as well. Well after I reassembled everything the bike would leak oil from the crank vent after about 45 seconds. Contacted cylinder works and was told maybe ring gap was too tight so I searched here as well and the common answer was rings as well. I ordered a new gasket kit and tore the bike back down to recheck the rings, everything was what it should be so I reinstalled it all and fired the bike up. Once again oil would trickle out at a steady rate so I figured maybe rings are not seated. Took the bike to the track, topped off the oil and rode it, after a few laps and checking the oil it stopped. I figured great it's fixed so I rode the rest of the day without problems. Well fast foward a few days I start it to warm it up and change the oil and the leak has returned. I jumped on the forums again and found several people saying it's a kawi thing but I refuse to accept that because it didn't have a problem before hand. Things I have checked so far are obviously the rings, the routing of the vent tube itself, and the idler shaft inside the motor. All have checked out. Any ideas before I give up and sell the thing? It has about 2 hours on the rebuild and when it runs the bike runs great with plenty of power. Im at a stopping point and was hoping someone else has experienced this before and managed to fix it. Thanks for your help

Are you using a standard paper filter? Are you measuring oil when you fill it up? How much oil are you putting in it. Hope you aren't just using the sight glass.