One mans '16 500 6-days build

So, the '12 never let me down. What a crazy good all around bike. Had no intentions of getting rid of it. I recently got ready to freshen it up and tallied up the cost and decided rather than dump a bunch into it, I'd pick up another one and take what almost 4 years has taught me about the bike and apply it to a new canvas.

So today the '12 loaded up into the truck for the last time....

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446944011.885413.jpg

And it was replaced with a '16....

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446944051.187573.jpg

First order of business will be to dial in the suspension, go around the bike with a wrench on EVERYTHING and then break it in for an hour and then dump the oil.

And then...... Well, I'll address pulling smog, canister, blinkers, fixing the suicide side stand, slight riser, tps, map, xcw rear plate holder, grab handle, hdb guards, stabilizer, lighting, tires, tubes, springs, trip switch for bars, bar map switch, 3g tank, and the list will grow. Unfortunately it'll be a few weeks before I can get started as I have a full plate. But looking forward to it....

• Like 7

Nice! What's the difference in the 6 days?

From the web site....

4CS closed-cartridge fork from WP Suspension

Camel seat for improved long-distance comfort

Orange-anodized CNC machined triple clamps

Supersprox Stealth 2-Piece rear sprocket features an aluminum inner ring for reduced weight with steel teeth for durability

Solid rear brake disc without holes or slots for improved heat resistance and reduced pad wear

Floating front brake disc for consistent braking

Front brake disc guard

Front Axle Puller to simplify front wheel removal

Brake pedal wire for extra protection

Orange radiator grills

Orange chain guide

Six Days logo on black wheels

Exclusive Six Days graphics

Radiator fans on the 350 XCF-W Six Days and 500 EXC Six Days for temperature management in extreme conditions

Carbon fiber pipe guard on the 300 XC-W Six Days two-stroke to protect the expansion chamber along with a special charcoal grey silencer with anthracite anodized Six Days logo

From the web site....

4CS closed-cartridge fork from WP Suspension

Camel seat for improved long-distance comfort

Orange-anodized CNC machined triple clamps

Supersprox Stealth 2-Piece rear sprocket features an aluminum inner ring for reduced weight with steel teeth for durability

Solid rear brake disc without holes or slots for improved heat resistance and reduced pad wear

Floating front brake disc for consistent braking

Front brake disc guard

Front Axle Puller to simplify front wheel removal

Brake pedal wire for extra protection

Orange radiator grills

Orange chain guide

Six Days logo on black wheels

Exclusive Six Days graphics

Radiator fans on the 350 XCF-W Six Days and 500 EXC Six Days for temperature management in extreme conditions

Carbon fiber pipe guard on the 300 XC-W Six Days two-stroke to protect the expansion chamber along with a special charcoal grey silencer with anthracite anodized Six Days logo

The 16 500 exc 6 days I saw also had the Ktm steel radiator braces on it.

I can't tell from your pic if your's has a supersprox on it. Several I saw at my dealer recently had aluminum orange and no supersprox. One did have a 45 tooth though. Not sure why some 6 days do and others don't.

Edited by Deepseadan

So, the '12 never let me down. What a crazy good all around bike. Had no intentions of getting rid of it. I recently got ready to freshen it up and tallied up the cost and decided rather than dump a bunch into it, I'd pick up another one and take what almost 4 years has taught me about the bike and apply it to a new canvas.

So today the '12 loaded up into the truck for the last time....

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446944011.885413.jpg

And it was replaced with a '16....

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446944051.187573.jpg

First order of business will be to dial in the suspension, go around the bike with a wrench on EVERYTHING and then break it in for an hour and then dump the oil.

And then...... Well, I'll address pulling smog, canister, blinkers, fixing the suicide side stand, slight riser, tps, map, xcw rear plate holder, grab handle, hdb guards, stabilizer, lighting, tires, tubes, springs, trip switch for bars, bar map switch, 3g tank, and the list will grow. Unfortunately it'll be a few weeks before I can get started as I have a full plate. But looking forward to it....

Did you pull anything off your old bike? Like the steering stabilizer to save a few bucks?

The 16 500 exc 6 days I saw also had the Ktm steel radiator braces on it.

I can't tell from your pic if your's has a supersprox on it.

Yes, it has the KTM steelbraces.

No, it does not have the super sprox. It's the 45 aluminum. I'm glad though because after I break it in, when I take it back to get mapped I'll have the dealer swap it for a 50 or 52 supersprox (new chain of course) My buds 6-days was the same way. Dealer made it right. Get to choose what size teeth as they are all the same price. The 350 has a 52 rear, I might do the same.

Did you pull anything off your old bike? Like the steering stabilizer to save a few bucks?

Yes, pulled off what I thought was still good. Risers, snap, handguards, moose lift handle, double take mirrors, tools, etc. left the rear brake disc guard on the '12 as it was beat. Never had a stabilizer on the '12, but I have an extra one just sitting in the tool box so thought I'd try it. I use one on my 950, but just the high speed setting. Just need to buy the HDB mounting plate so it fits.

No, it does not have the super sprox. It's the 45 aluminum. I'm glad though because after I break it in, when I take it back to get mapped I'll have the dealer swap it for a 50 or 52 supersprox (new chain of course) My buds 6-days was the same way. Dealer made it right. Get to choose what size teeth as they are all the same price. The 350 has a 52 rear, I might do the same.

14/50 here - best for AZ desert and Ocotillo Wells

• Like 1

Yes, pulled off what I thought was still good. Risers, snap, handguards, moose lift handle, double take mirrors, tools, etc. left the rear brake disc guard on the '12 as it was beat. Never had a stabilizer on the '12, but I have an extra one just sitting in the tool box so thought I'd try it. I use one on my 950, but just the high speed setting. Just need to buy the HDB mounting plate so it fits.

I have a gpr on my 500. Best upgrade I've done by far. Totally worth the money. I run mine on 3 or 4 everywhere. Saved me a lot of times.

14/50 here - best for AZ desert and Ocotillo Wells

I have agree, but it depends which tire I run. For my stock 6 days tire 140/80, 14/48 was a must for the desert. Now with my 120/100 maxxis desert it 14/50 is a must. When mounted, the desert it is probably about 1.5" taller. It really changed the gear ratio and my 500 couldn't pull out of a couple of bogs in sand (in 5th and 6th).

got a little done this am.....

Started with pulling the gold wing mirrors off and put the cheap Acerbis one on that comes with the bike.  This will hold me over until the HDB guards w/mirrors arrive.  I've been diehard Cycra fan, but the last two sets I bent in crashes that I felt they should not have bent on.  Going to give the HBD's a try....

i-sfHDPp2-X2.jpg

Thought that was nice of KTM to provide a shorter kickstand bolt in the briefcase to fix that stupid stock kick stand.  Put that on and the bolt already had thread locker on it.

i-hj2K4Rb-X2.jpg

Bag of goodies.......

i-sV5fGbC-X2.jpg

These are the same rad guards I bought for my '12 and they worked perfect.  So, gonna keep these....

i-gk6QmWc-X2.jpg

Put the Moose Handle on I took of the '12....

i-4bbWMvx-X2.jpg

Couple of minor things I found that I'll fix....

Looks like the bar pad was not put on to my standards.  New zip tie and thats all this needs.....

i-zdsSK68-X2.jpg

Ignition switch is hitting the front fork.  That will get fixed before the first ride.  Might just remove it and go with a button.  mask is all the way out, so its got to be removed or modified.

i-QF89Hd7-X2.jpg

Have an extra xc-w plate holder, but had to order the light... so waiting for that to arrive.....

i-zQkBBCH-X2.jpg

Thats it for now......

i-vtP5N4b-X2.jpg

i-dbCnDwr-X2.jpg

• Like 10

congrats on the bike. I am a tad worried on my 16 500 exc. I am already at 700 miles on it in just like 2.5 months. This thing is going to have thousands and thousands thousands of miles on it by the time I ever go to replace it.

How many miles on your 12 at the end btw?

No, it does not have the super sprox. It's the 45 aluminum..

As you quoted in the items that come with the 6-days, it has the dual sprocket, aluminum/steel so it's a keeper. Except maybe just for the gearing change.