Sign in to follow this  

New bike. Woods mods?

Just got a 2009 crf450r and want to set it up right. Will be riding mostly in the woods at the big riding parks in the southeast. Mods I am considering:

Oversized rads

2.7 gallon tank

Used rekluse core exp 3.0

Smart performance full suspension kit (135lbs)

Bark busters

On the rekluse clutch, I was thinking I could score a lightly used core exp kit for $450-500 off eBay apposed to buying just the automatic clutch ring. $900 for a clutch is a little to much for me right now and The guy before me put a tusk clutch kit in it and I don't want to stick with those cheap components. Would it be fine to run a used core exp kit?

Anything else I should add to the list??

Edited by Crf450r r r

Imo not the best bike for trails, that said I'd start with 18" rear wheel, flywheel weight, lower gearing, trail tech fan w/ Evans coolant, and get the susp re-valved for softer damping.

I find that I ride trails like an mx track, no super tight single track and all balls to the wall so I think I will keep the stock gearing and flywheel as it benefits my style of riding unless of course the rekluse doesn't solve any stalling issue I might encounter. A fan sounds like a good idea. Will have to see if I have any overheating problems after oversized rads. Will be getting a diy revalve and respring kit from Dave at smart performance. Will consider a new rear rim if my budget allows and a need arises.

Thanks for the insight!

Edited by Crf450r r r

start off a little cheaper.. even with the oversized rads, you will still puke coolant if you stop for more than a moment. Or if the going is really slow. $20 or a 1.6bar radiator cap first. Then, the chinese radiators for $100 or so work well, but not needed right away. Rad cap first to keep the coolant IN the radiators longer..

rekluse. Yes. if you find a used one? that doesn't mean the base plates (the ring part that has weight wedges inside, and fiber material that grabs the metal plates on each side) are not worn out.. $120 later, you may not be that much better off had you just got one new. OR.. consider just the EXP for $399 (retail). This is just the ring, that does the auto-clutch work. very simple install, i highly suggest using OEM fibers, be sure your pressure plate, basket, and inner hub are in good condition. I ran this way for a couple years (raced harescrambles in A class with it too), and only recently upgraded to the full core 3.0

I would hold off on an 18" wheel.. if you find one off an x model, great, but not needed.

Suspension. if you are doing a lot of woods stuff, you will likely find this thing to be pretty harsh. Softer springs (if you are 170lb or less) and take out a lot of fork oil is a start.. but you will likely want softer valving at some point. this can cost $100 to $250+ per end, depending on what you do/who does it.

13oz fly wheel kit. Very nice for offroad.. would do after you get a rekluse auto -clutch though.

bark busters. yea, if nothing they save levers when you tip over or do happen to clip a tree lightly.

the list can go on..

Totally agree with JimmyBOy about, this isn't the best offroad bike, but it's what you got :)

I find that I ride trails like an mx track, no super tight single track and all balls to the wall so I think I will keep the stock gearing and flywheel as it benefits my style of riding unless of course the rekluse doesn't solve any stalling issue I might encounter. A fan sounds like a good idea. Will have to see if I have any overheating problems after oversized rads. Will be getting a diy revalve and respring kit from Dave at smart performance. Will consider a new rear rim if my budget allows and a need arises.

Thanks for the insight!

if you aren't riding single track, and are riding as fast as you say (think) you are.. you won't need oversized rads. Just get the 1.6 bar cap (up from 1.1 stock). and Engine ice. I don't like the idea of evans coolant. If the bike is gonna get really hot, i want to see a little steam. Evans won't do this. It works for what it's supposed to do .. but not for me.

and if you are doing faster riding, more wide open stuff, i would stick with the 19" rim. the shorter sidewall gives more feedback, and is better for faster speed cornering.. 18" with the taller sidewall is better for more real "offroad" riding and racing, especially if there are more roots and rocks, sharp edge stuf.f

if you aren't riding single track, and are riding as fast as you say (think) you are.. you won't need oversized rads. Just get the 1.6 bar cap (up from 1.1 stock). and Engine ice. I don't like the idea of evans coolant. If the bike is gonna get really hot, i want to see a little steam. Evans won't do this. It works for what it's supposed to do .. but not for me.

and if you are doing faster riding, more wide open stuff, i would stick with the 19" rim. the shorter sidewall gives more feedback, and is better for faster speed cornering.. 18" with the taller sidewall is better for more real "offroad" riding and racing, especially if there are more roots and rocks, sharp edge stuf.f

When I ride my dads ktm 525 the speedo usually reads 30mph - 60mph so yea rads might not be needed but are a nice cheap feature to have if I encounter some single track Edited by Crf450r r r

start off a little cheaper.. even with the oversized rads, you will still puke coolant if you stop for more than a moment. Or if the going is really slow. $20 or a 1.6bar radiator cap first. Then, the chinese radiators for $100 or so work well, but not needed right away. Rad cap first to keep the coolant IN the radiators longer..

rekluse. Yes. if you find a used one? that doesn't mean the base plates (the ring part that has weight wedges inside, and fiber material that grabs the metal plates on each side) are not worn out.. $120 later, you may not be that much better off had you just got one new. OR.. consider just the EXP for $399 (retail). This is just the ring, that does the auto-clutch work. very simple install, i highly suggest using OEM fibers, be sure your pressure plate, basket, and inner hub are in good condition. I ran this way for a couple years (raced harescrambles in A class with it too), and only recently upgraded to the full core 3.0

I would hold off on an 18" wheel.. if you find one off an x model, great, but not needed.

Suspension. if you are doing a lot of woods stuff, you will likely find this thing to be pretty harsh. Softer springs (if you are 170lb or less) and take out a lot of fork oil is a start.. but you will likely want softer valving at some point. this can cost $100 to $250+ per end, depending on what you do/who does it.

13oz fly wheel kit. Very nice for offroad.. would do after you get a rekluse auto -clutch though.

bark busters. yea, if nothing they save levers when you tip over or do happen to clip a tree lightly.

the list can go on..

Totally agree with JimmyBOy about, this isn't the best offroad bike, but it's what you got :)

Yea I'm on the light side at 135lbs.

Will have to see if I can fit a new recluse core into the budget. Either way I'm not going to stick with the cheap tusk stuff that's in there.

Forgot to mention, the bike looks pretty used. If I were to guess I would say maybe 100 hours on it. Could be way off but I might have to get a new top end in the next 50 hours and if I do that, I would want to get some more power with a high comp piston, some port work. Do I need it at 135lb? No. Am I power hungry and have a death wish? Yes.

What about the rekluse z start pro? I see it's only $600 new vs $900 for the exp.

Edited by Crf450r r r

If you're going 2nd hand, make sure you only get the core 3.

Add Tu-Bliss kits, tugger staps, bash plate and Steg Pegs  to your list. Bar risers are good when you're standing a lot, even better is a sub mounted Scott's dampener. Lowered FastWay foot pegs can make the transition from sitting to standing easier during a long ride.

Nice to have upgraded bakes for extra feel if you're riding in the mountains. Including a rear ressy extension.

I've never needed radiator braces or guards. Strengthen those and the force only goes somewhere else.

Forget the Bark Busters (wrist breakers). Get brush guards. They're all you need :thumbsup: . Unless you plan on nailing a few trees  :lol: .

I had an 06 450. But that thing was awesome with the Rekluse. Made the bike a lot more fun in tight ST.

FreeTip. The best part about having the rekluse is the extra corner speed. In tight ST and on a 450 you'll be mostly in 3rd gear. Go hard into the corners, in 3rd, brake Really late, locking the rear brake. No clutch. Slide the rear end around the corner. Hand full of throttle on the exit. Point and shoot   :thumbsup:

Heaps faster and more fun than no Rekluse  :ride: . I will never own another 450 without a Rekluse.

The core 3 is the most durable I'm guessing? How manny hours do the plates last?

One of the parts in the core clutches has a special coating on it. On the previous version that coating was coming off. They revised the coating for the core 3 which makes it more durable  :thumbsup: .

Never replaced the clutch plates or fibers in the 450. My 450 had the Z-Start Pro. I had the previous version to the core 3 in my 250X. After I sold the bike, the coating did wear off.

Edited by AddictedToBling

Don't waste your time with the oversized chineese radiators. You'll soon find out you can't afford to add an ounce of weight to the front of that bike.

I actually think I like all the weight being so far forward. Gives a confident sharp feel in corners and it's easy to whip the rear tire over with some throttle. My light weight might factor in to that

Edited by Crf450r r r

Second the heavy flywheel really does help this bike with the less than smooth response from 0-10% throttle.

Heavy flywheels do not reduce hp. And the bike still has tons of throttle response I'd reccomend the +11 for mx and the +17 for des.

Also the 09 has a gear position sensor and can be mapped different in every gear so If you have traction problems with it in first and second you can have Eddie sisneros map it with first and second gear ignition maps softened at part throttle.

Last, this bike relly works good with a Scotts

Btw I also have a spi kit.

Listen to Melk Man, that's my advice.

now.. is that cause ya think I know what i'm talkin about, or I will debate ya to death if you don't agree ;) LOL  

OP: if you can find a used core exp3.0 for under $550 i would get it. Keep in mind the only thing that would likely wear, are the 2 base plates of the exp ring, and they can be purchased for $100 or so. They will eventually wear. 1- the fiber material that grabs metals on either side wear down.. and 2- the ramps the weight wedge plastic tabs ride on wear and "dish" out. This makes for poor action. I get over 100 hrs before this occurs. the rest of the device is pretty bullet proof, and as some mentioned, i won't ride/race a 4stroke without it :) 

if you go new, you "CAN" get away with just the exp 3.0 ring. It's $400 retail vs. $900 and will work fine for anything but the most abusive riding/racing. I raced the exp only on my 08 450 or a full season in Sr A harescrambles. I upgraded to the full core as i wanted more durability and had some extra $ for it. And you CAN upgrade.. the exp ring is part of the full core kit. So just pay difference later after you see if you like the rekluse at all. 

Edited by MELK-MAN

now.. is that cause ya think I know what i'm talkin about, or I will debate ya to death if you don't agree ;) LOL

OP: if you can find a used core exp3.0 for under $550 i would get it. Keep in mind the only thing that would likely wear, are the 2 base plates of the exp ring, and they can be purchased for $100 or so. They will eventually wear. 1- the fiber material that grabs metals on either side wear down.. and 2- the ramps the weight wedge plastic tabs ride on wear and "dish" out. This makes for poor action. I get over 100 hrs before this occurs. the rest of the device is pretty bullet proof, and as some mentioned, i won't ride/race a 4stroke without it :)

if you go new, you "CAN" get away with just the exp 3.0 ring. It's $400 retail vs. $900 and will work fine for anything but the most abusive riding/racing. I raced the exp only on my 08 450 or a full season in Sr A harescrambles. I upgraded to the full core as i wanted more durability and had some extra $ for it. And you CAN upgrade.. the exp ring is part of the full core kit. So just pay difference later after you see if you like the rekluse at all.

a crf450 with a rekluse in harescrambles with good suspension tuning is considered a cheater bike.....that's what they say about mine! Love it