Sign in to follow this  

Tiny problems

Picked up a 04 450r and there too small issues I've got,1.the front sprocket has about 1mm of movement and I can tighten it anymore,any ideas? And I wanted to adjust the gear shifter as my riding boots have a large end cap and I can't move it anymore without it hitting the case,could I heat and bend it out,or are the aftermarket ones that are wider

1446955140605.jpg

in regards to your shifter it sounds like a new one is needed.  must be bent because it shouldn't hit your case.  you could try heating and bending it for now but a new one is probably only $30

how much are you trying to adjust it? it really shouldn't matter.  The standard is just slightly higher than the peg.  So when you upshift it would probably be at the level you are trying to adjust to I would imagine.  Still should clear the cases.  I have a 12 but it still shouldn't matter

this is the way it should look 

356688.jpg

heat it and re bend it and call er a day. no point wasting money on something that my arm muscles could fix in literally 3 seconds.

give it a good pull... I just "fixed" my brake lever today too from rubbing on my 200$ hinson clutch case!

a couple off pictures of the offending shift lever would go a long ways. And which direction is the counter sprocket moving? A couple closups of it may show whats wrong like inner ot outer shim missing? sprocket on backwards etc. Pics would help your cause.

That's it a stock setting and you may be able to that we when I move it up it is almost hitting the case,so I've I move it higher its hits before it can shift

1447038237296.jpg

1447038290895.jpg

That's it a stock setting and you may be able to that we when I move it up it is almost hitting the case,so I've I move it higher its hits before it can shift

I think it's possible that's the wrong shifter because I run my shifter well above where yours is and I don't hit at all. As for the sprocket you might want a washer on either side of it wherever it's loose

Run a OEM Honda shifter and it'll no longer be an issue. Is your countershaft moving 1mm or just the sprocket? Some in/out is normal so long as the sprocket's tight.

Should have no up/down movement.

Keep in mind that you don't need to get your whole boot under the shifter. I've shifted with my toes and the side of my boot for example. The higher you go, you'll find you have to lift your boot for down shifts.

EDIT: The OEM shiters tip is offset allowing alternator cover clearance and the added length provides more room for your boot. '03 shown, yours has the same part number - 24700-MEB-771.

Aftermarket shifters, like yours, are often shorter and those are the ones I had to shift with the side of my boot.

Edited by HRC27

Looking close at your pics thats not the stock sprocket either. What i can remember they are solid, where you have holes. Hard telling whats on there.

Ok, the bolt looks the same as mine but make sure it's 33mm, if too long it could be bottoming out. If ok, make sure you have #37 shown in pic. Hard to tell from pic.

Honda shows it for my bike and yours (I can see mine) but doesn't show part number. '08's does. It's 90501-KSC-670. That could cause play if missing.

MEB4E1500C.gif

Edited by HRC27

sprocket could be on backwards....or maybe the spacer needs replaced.  Either way I would pull it off and see whats going on.

I think your shifter is hitting cause its aftermarket, it shouldn't hit but it looks longer than stock.

also if the counter sprocket bolt has been over torqued it can distort those two outer washer spacers so they are not coned anymore. its only suppose to be 26 NM. And ya I think that shifter is even billed some places as slightly longer than stock. I was thinking about one for my CR since my boots are so tall and oversized in the toe area.