Sign in to follow this  

2014 YZ250 5th gear slipping/skipping

Long story short, my 14 yz250 ran great the last time I rode with was about a week and a half ago. Everything was in sync and it was flawless. Then today when I went out for the first practice and noticed the skipping and slipping in 5th gear. It does not do it in any other gear but fifth so it got me thinking it was the clutch (which is stock) or something in the tranny. I read in other threads that this is frequent in the YZ's. I read about the 5th gear being bent or the dogs or something like that or it was the shift fork. I guess my question is

1) What exactly is goin on?

2) What do I need to do to fix this? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446955896.845284.jpg

I just honestly think it is a little strange that this would happen this a fairly new bike since the stock clutch from the factory is still in spec

Share some knowledge and information if you have experienced this first hand or heard about this or just have knowledge about what is the issue.

PS the bike has about 60 hours and is maintained well.

Here is the bike

sad to say but 5th might need tobe inspected. Ever split cases before? drain the oil and check very very carefully for any chipped teeth

It's a known issue with the gear box the 3rd through 5th gear wear out. The gear dog ends wear down and the gears won't stay locked into position. The gear dogs are 3 posts that are rectangular shaped on the ends of the gears.

When you change gears the gear dogs ends slip and lock together. Over time the edges of the gear dogs wear down causing it to slip or jump out of gear. The gear that is the problem is probably your 4th gear.

Ignore it and you'll just make it worse and it will start wearing out your shift fork ends or worse break a gear.

Im running stock internals on a 06, im surprised to see this happen to such a new bike

• Like 1

It's a known issue with the gear box the 3rd through 5th gear wear out. The gear dog ends wear down and the gears won't stay locked into position. The gear dogs are 3 posts that are rectangular shaped on the ends of the gears.

When you change gears the gear dogs ends slip and lock together. Over time the edges of the gear dogs wear down causing it to slip or jump out of gear. The gear that is the problem is probably your 4th gear.

Ignore it and you'll just make it worse and it will start wearing out your shift fork ends or worse break a gear.

01 660's had a bad problem of breaking them off 2nd gear they only had 3 dogs, they added a 4th on 02+ models.... seems they would do the same if it was a huge problem... how are you guys shifting? using the clutch?

Imo, having the 5th gear dogs undercut would likely solve the problem much cheaper than new gears. Something to look into.

I'm going through the same ordeal right now. I went ahead and split and inspected before ordering parts. Glad I did, cause I found wear on several gears along with all the forks. Don't forget to order all new circlips for the main and counter shafts. Don't reuse the old ones.

I had the same problem with my old 125. Turned out to be a piece chipped off the gear and went in a bearing and caused it. I ended up replaci the dogs forks and the bearing and it runs like a champ

I'm going through the same ordeal right now. I went ahead and split and inspected before ordering parts. Glad I did, cause I found wear on several gears along with all the forks. Don't forget to order all new circlips for the main and counter shafts. Don't reuse the old ones.

What else are you replacing besides the clips and the gear? Should I go ahead and replace the crank bearing and seals also? Any other parts I should know about other thank the gear and clips?

What else are you replacing besides the clips and the gear? Should I go ahead and replace the crank bearing and seals also? Any other parts I should know about other thank the gear and clips?

at such low hours i would say you shouldnt have to worry about bearings......your unlucky....i did mine a while ago and had done a truck load more hours...reckon it was because i had pivot pegs on the bike and when lifting the front doing wheelies it knocked into next gear a bit....and it was my loan bike to mates every now and then. Now i dont lend it out and drop my foot back on wheelies just to make sure! Was the selector between 3 and 4...i changed them all as it wasnt to expensive. .

Mine has under 50 hours. I am replacing all seals, but the bearings are still smooth. May as well replace top end while its apart.

Mine has under 50 hours. I am replacing all seals, but the bearings are still smooth. May as well replace top end while its apart.

I replaced to top end about 10 hours ago, I'll just have to tear it down and inspect everything I guess,

Just ordered a case splitter clutch holder and a crank puller online.