Sign in to follow this  

linkage maintainance 2005 => yz250

Sooo

- How often on average do you guys grease your linkages and swingarms bearings?

- How long do your kit's generally last.

- Also dose anyone find that the extra coin for the oem stuff is worth it are they better quality and do they last long or longer.??

I grease mine about every 5 to 10 hours but still think I should get more than twelve months out of a set???.

I'm pretty keen to hear what you guys have going on.

cheers for any feed back guys

oem or pivot works, Ive run a few all balls linkage sets and they dont always last. Do you run an hour meter? i would pull them out and clean grease every 20 hours or so. but it depends on the conditions you ride, how you wash your bike etc. 

The problem bearing in the whole linkage setup that is often over looked. Is the lower bearing in the rear shock it's part of the linkage setup. The bearing is hidden behind some spacers and seals. The bearing is smaller than the rest of the bearings and is prone to seizing up which can cause harsh rear shock action like packing in the mid stroke.

It's the first bearing to wear out and most people skip it when doing the linkage which is a bad thing.

• Like 2

I have a low pressure power washer . I dont blast the bearing journal's though.

last kit was an all balls one lasted maybe 60 hours the bearing inner race on all three linkage bearings developed cracks along the length.

just greased my new pivotworks one today after five hours I can already see some pitting from contamination in the long bearing that bolts to fame.

I ride a clay moto track medium b class pace, been a bit muddy of late I guess. may just be the mud

The problem bearing in the whole linkage setup that is often over looked. Is the lower bearing in the rear shock it's part of the linkage setup. The bearing is hidden behind some spacers and seals. The bearing is smaller than the rest of the bearings and is prone to seizing up which can cause harsh rear shock action like packing in the mid stroke.

It's the first bearing to wear out and most people skip it when doing the linkage which is a bad thing.

yea I find mine lasts 3/4 the time of the rest of the kit easy to grease though.

oem or pivot works, Ive run a few all balls linkage sets and they dont always last. Do you run an hour meter? i would pull them out and clean grease every 20 hours or so. but it depends on the conditions you ride, how you wash your bike etc.

yea I think contamination is my problem. may revise my washing techniques>_>

At 100 hours all of mine will be loose. Even if I've kept them well greased.

I shoot for 30 hours but have gone over quite often.

Im getting ambitious and going to drill drilling tapping for grease fittings this winter. should all be pretty easy accept the bottom shock bearing

• Like 1

.Looked into that done swing arm. Had to select different Inner seals to allow grease purge

Linkage bearings proved to be unfeasible. You would have to deliver grease through the bolts which would be OK for the frame mount for the link but you would have to drill the bearing inner. Maybe 60Rc harness (carbide would do that) for the other two the is not really room to fit a grease hole that won't overlap the rolling elements.

I also looked into other bearing supplies but yamaha make it hard with the 15mm ID.

The best option I came up with was making my own inner and new bolts and buying outers .

Edited by bad-mod

yea I think contamination is my problem. may revise my washing techniques>_>

Bingo!

Like you mention later, the other thing is mud/water.  I've stopped riding and racing in mud (due to old age and bad knees), and my linkage bearings seem to be lasting the length of time I keep a bike (2-3 years on average).  On the other hand, I've done hare scrambles where basically the whole course is under water, and abandoned bikes are everywhere with just the handlebars sticking up out of the mud.  In those conditions, just about every bearing on the bike will be packed with mud and grit by the end of the race.

Since you are racing, I would just grease after a mud race.  Also, marine stores will offer a variety of water-proof greases.  I prefer the Bel Ray stuff (comes in a small tub) myself.  I have seen that in motorcycle shops on occasion, but it's very popular with PWC guys and is always available where they sell boat stuff.  The Bel Ray grease is almost like a wax, but even it won't stand up to a pressure washer.  

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

As mentioned it depends hugely on the type of riding conditions and washing technique. Mud rides can require so much more maintenance if you enjoy good suspension. Pressure washing is taboo on the YZ linkage.

Grease choice makes a big difference of course. I recommend Nulon for anyone living in Aus.

Having a kx450f and a YZ with identical usage patterns, I find the KX bearings last much longer. I suspect due to the more exposed seal design on the YZ.

I've also found that pivotworks seals seem to hold up better (grease retained) than All Balls or Bearing Connection brands. But this was not a controlled fair test.

• Like 2

Good info.  New to the yz and have gone over most of the bike, including linkage and I did miss the lower shock, never even thought about it.  It will be done this week.  Thanks!

My bike sat for many years, 2002 yz250, as i took a break from riding (couldn't risk injury and not work). After i decided to start riding again i went through my bike and greased all the bearings. The old grease was like plastic. It was all dried out. Everything was so much smoother afterwards.