Sign in to follow this  

Trailtech sensor on RMX

Mount it on the caliper bracket.  Kind of hard to eyeball and line up, but has worked well.   Hopefully you have the disc bolt/magnet with the kit.

SANY0011_zpslzszcyhz.jpg

Did you plan on using the temp sensor?  I couldn't find a decent place to mount the sensor in coolant line.

Edited by moto2000

I've got one on my rmx I can take pictures tomorrow. And I turned out an aluminum bung that I'm going to try to weld into the top of the radiator for the temperature sensor just haven't gotten to it.

I've got one on my rmx I can take pictures tomorrow. And I turned out an aluminum bung that I'm going to try to weld into the top of the radiator for the temperature sensor just haven't gotten to it.

That's a better idea.  Like to see the finished product when you get it done.

My caliper is a bit different then the above pic, I had less room to work with. I slid it down the bracket to where it lined up with the bolt rotation then penciled the alignment. Had to unbolt it to dill and mount it. But the clearance is all good, The bike is a 1996 model RMX. Yo can just see the corner of the black plastic in the pic.

20151112_190653_zpsrupgnlmw.jpg

Next thing is I did the math for the wheel size and put it in. its simply wheel dia. in mm ÷ 3.14. One thing I find odd is why the placement of the sensor/pickup isnt part of the equation?  I will check the distance on the vapor to a forest service road marker.
I didnt have a place to epoxy a magnet to my aftermarket rotor so I made a 6mm bolt with a magnet in the center, like the proper one from TT.
No ideal options for mounting the lcd, the brake line is in the way no matter what. My home made bracket has it forward of the hose rather then below it. I tapped into the headlight for power.
Cool unit, bought it for next to nothing.  :thumbsup:

I forgot to post the picture of the bung I made for the temperature sensor. I don't have a tig welder as of now. So this winter I'll pull it off and see if my buddy will let me borrow his for a bit. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448466572.041666.jpg

For the temp sensor on mine I used the M6-1.0 sensor and installed it in place of the top bolt on the power valve side cover.

Bolt hole is not deep enough as is, so needs to drilled a bit deeper. I used a bit just barely larger than the tip of the sensor, shot some heat sink paste (from radio shack) deep in there, and some blue loc-tite on the threads. (as only about 1-1/2 threads actually thread in)

Just be VERY careful not to get too tight and strip the threads!!!

Seems to work fine in this location. Good thing is even if I were to have a hose pop off or burst and loose all my coolant, the sensor still reads.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks!

The hose that exits head on my RMX has no good straight sections, so that really wasn't an option. Didn't want it between radiators, or in the return line. Originally I was going to weld bung in lower radiator tank like tractorman, but chickened out. Welding thin aluminum is hard enough. (I did weld a beer can together once for practice lol.) When you have unknown types of aluminum that melt at different temps, it gets extremely hard. My luck I would have blown a big ol hole in it, or melted the aluminum soldier they use to join tanks to core.

The mounts they give you for LCD suck. Here's what I did for mounting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Went with stainless so it wouldn't rust.

Here's my old vapor mount. It's kind of rough but works. Feel free to print to scale and use as template. You might want to modify it a bit to give access to battery. I didn't know when making it that battery only lasts about a year...

image.jpeg

Edited by Jeremyf1