Sign in to follow this  

93 CR 250 build help please

I recently bought a bought a 93 to restore as I always wanted one, unfortunately I bought the bike unseen (valuable lesson learned) and the bike turned out to be a total scrap heap. The motor still runs and that's about it the frame was completely cracked and the subframe came off in 2 pieces. The triple done up so tight the fork tubes have compressed. No chance of a refund.. To say Iam gutted is an understatement!!!

Ive decided to go ahead and build a bike to race vmx using parts from 92 /96. I've found a 95 frame, 92 subframe (which will fit) and I have my 93 motor. I also have the offer of a free 92 frame but I haven't heard good things?

My questions are:

Does the 93 motor fit in the 95 frame.

Should I stay 18 inch on the rear or go 19 inch

Thoughts on the kyb the 95 had? (As my forks on the 93 were also stuffed)

Why run a pwk airstriker?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Find pics below for a laugh

1446976503734.jpg

1446976517241.jpg

1446976530639.jpg

1446976547001.jpg

Yes the engine will fit the 1995 chassis. It eill drop in all the frames from 1992-2001.

The suspension got better as time went on.

The airstryker is overrated. Good carb but no better than the standard "pj" carb. If you go airstryker, there is plenty of info to get you jetted.

The rim choice is up to you. The 19" will give you more tire options but you should be able to get a tire you like in the 18" version. There are performance advantages in both sizes.

Enjoy the build. Pretty punched unit. Lol

Edited by KPRacing

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Unfortunately there is some very deceitful people in the world & take advantage of naive people till you learn from it.   Had a few mishaps myself when I was teen into my early twenties & learned the hard way.  At this point you move on & cut your losses & hopefully learn from it moving forward.

My questions are:

Does the 93 motor fit in the 95 frame.
The 92-96 have a lot of interchangeable parts & the motor design is one of them.  The 93 motor should bolt up with out any issues.

Should I stay 18 inch on the rear or go 19 inch
That can be a personal preference choice.  For trails / woods type of riding the 18 in. seems to be a popular choice for better traction & reduced flats.  For MX use the 19in. is standard & preferred.

Thoughts on the kyb the 95 had? (As my forks on the 93 were also stuffed)
Had a 93 with the 43mm forks & a good friend had a 96 with the updated 46mm (similar to the 95).  Both worked well after a revalve / respring - if needed for your weight.  Make sure to get the 95-96 clamps to accommodate the bigger 46mm fork tubes.    

Why run a pwk airstriker?
The Keihin PJ that came on the 93 owned & the friends 96 worked fine for us. That being said I've seen members post about having problems with the PJ with the choke / idle knob.  The knob does both functions & can be a wear item especially on the rubber seal on it.  The PWK is a very good carb & would suggest upgrading it if the current carb needs a complete rebuild otherwise the PJ will run fine.

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

I would take my lumps and start with a complete new(used) bike. That '93 engine may seem to run fine but I bet everything internally is in the same condition as the outside. Would not be surprised if that bike is stolen.

• Like 1

Cheers for the advice guys,after pricing parts that I can find its going to be a case of polishing a turd and I haven't got the time or money. I'm now leaning towards selling as is to someone needing parts and starting again with a better bike, it's the first time I've ever taken the chance on buying unseen and I hope these pics discourage anyone trying the same. Cheers

• Like 2

Cheers for the advice guys,after pricing parts that I can find its going to be a case of polishing a turd and I haven't got the time or money. I'm now leaning towards selling as is to someone needing parts and starting again with a better bike, it's the first time I've ever taken the chance on buying unseen and I hope these pics discourage anyone trying the same. Cheers

Wise decision.   That bike can become a donor bike to someone else & you can start off with a better platform.  I've been on the hunt for a 93 model myself for the last couple of years & haven't found a good candidate.  Good luck on your quest.   

I agree with H4L, just be patient and luck will find you... I was ready to buy a 93 about 2 years ago for $1700, and start a restoration on it.. It was in fair to good condition, and I knew that parts were going to be hard to find for it now... If I had bought that bike, I would probably just now be getting it to finished, after spending a small EBay fortune to get it together...

I'm glad I decided to wait, and as all things always happen, I stumbled across this one. Which is a very funny story, and I knew everything about this one, and it's whole history.. I paid $2500 for it (CAD, about $1900 U.S.) and couldn't be happier with its condition for what I want to do with it.. Good things come to those who wait..

Actually there are 2 for sale locally right now that are in far better rebuildable condition than the one you had found, so they are out there..!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447085516.468838.jpg

So 2 days after getting stung on the 93 and I found a nice 95 and have started a rebuild, the 93 is turning into a parts bike, but I will start to sell the parts that aren't interchangeable.

The lower link (dogbone) is cracked I know they are different sizes but has anyone use a 93 dogbone on a 95?

So 2 days after getting stung on the 93 and I found a nice 95 and have started a rebuild, the 93 is turning into a parts bike, but I will start to sell the parts that aren't interchangeable.

The lower link (dogbone) on the 95 is cracked I know they are different sizes but has anyone use a 93 dogbone on a 95?

The lower link (dogbone) is cracked I know they are different sizes but has anyone use a 93 dogbone on a 95?

Linkage pieces need to be identical. Period.