Sign in to follow this  

dr 350 build..adventure motard

Just traded for a 96 dr350se with 1997 dr350 dirt motor installed. Picked up the bike from a nice young lady. Kicked over first time, and idle good ish.bike was bogging on heavy throttle so figured was most likly jetted rich so once I got home and took some stuff off the bike to kind of get a picture in my head. Well some one was nice enough to do a 3x3 mod on the air box...but shoved a shop rag over the hole..so hoping that sorted out my rich condition. It was 10 at night so did not go ripping down the road.(fmf exhasut).

So I have a couple questions before I get started since this is my first dr350. There is no decomp lever does any one know if the dirt models in 97 had decomp cams? also what idle should this be at. dont know if the  TM33 makes a diffrence but it does have the dirt carb on it. 

I wanted to get it sorted and running perfect before starting the actual project. 

Thank you. I will double check the motor and see if the decomp just not hooked up when the motor was put in. Not that I care as I started it cold and hot 1-2 kicks. okay I will take it for a spin today and see if removing that rag in the airbox helped..ha definitely couldn't hurt removing it. I will adjust air screw and idle after that. nice easy adjuster on the TM33. PO put a K&N in which I personally have never had good luck with on motorcycle so picking up a twin air. then I think 17 rear 19 front. have the 97 dirt only parts bike so will steel the forks so I can run the 17mm axel and get a proper big brake kit. all after christmass though.oh and a bigger tank..if any one wants to trade a Clarke or acrebis tank for my amazingly clean dent free metal tank let me know. 

think for all the singles I have had over the years now think its time for a 1 lunger tattoo of some sort

Well after doing some reading looks like the forks are 96 dirt not 97 as they have no adjuster  on top just the standard fork cap. sad. If i am wrong some one chime in please. 

I am kind of talking to my self now but I got the tm33 off and got it apart to check jets and needle height. well needle clip was two from the botton and jet sizes are 128 and ? I am assuming that 128 is more than a tad too small and no idea what the main jet is so any help on this would be great. Oh running K&N and FMF slip on. will be changing to a twin air and hopefull santa will bring me kientech header pipe. Also carb slide is in great condition, no excessive free play. 

I am kind of talking to my self now but I got the tm33 off and got it apart to check jets and needle height. well needle clip was two from the botton and jet sizes are 128 and ? I am assuming that 128 is more than a tad too small and no idea what the main jet is so any help on this would be great. Oh running K&N and FMF slip on. will be changing to a twin air and hopefull santa will bring me kientech header pipe. Also carb slide is in great condition, no excessive free play. 

128 main and no idea on pilot. Inhailed to many fumes today

stock (un-cut airbox) 127.5 main, 37.5 pilot, needle clip-3

hmm for some reason thought I read that main was 137.5. so any recommendations? 400 feet above sea level. K&N and 3x3 airbox. fmf slip on.

Okay well Kientech is the best. also will get some pictures up soon. Had a beet and started taking things off to clean up.

well update. I may have found a way of getting a 320mm rotor for pre 97 hubs (4 bolt) from what I can tell the rotor from an RMZ450 should bolt up no issues. I will need to have a caliper relocater made up. I know there will be some one that says it wont work but they are both 4 bolt fronts and from a call to protaper that makes the larger front rotor for the pre 97 dr350's it is the same part number that is for the 2006 RMZ450. if anything I can always return anything if this happens to just be a mistake on protapers part