Sign in to follow this  

1983 xr200r front axle

Hello there I have a 1983 xr200r and I can't get the front axle out of the hub I have the clymer manual for it but it says it comes out, however I can't get the axle out any help would be appreciated thanks.

Does it turn? Sometimes if the axle doesn't want to come out it's because the forks may be in a bind. Back off on one or both the upper clamps.

Sorry I should have explained better, I was able to get the rim including the hub off just not able to get the axle out of the hub. Any ideas would be appreciated .

How did you get the rim and hub off without removing the axle which is the bolt. Or are you trying to get the bearing and the spacer out of the hub?

Sounds like it is rusted in place, i.e. the axle is made of steel, so it is prone to rust. 

Spray with penetrating lubricant (big fan of liquid wrench), let sit for ~ 30 minutes to an hour, use a rubber blow hammer to remove axle from hub. 

Don't go nuts with the rubber blow hammer, i.e. like (whack a mole), or you will ruin the wheel bearings and potentially the hub wheel bearing race.

Just a nice solid short stroke blow with rubber blow hammer. 

Michael 

Thanks guys I have had it soaking and I'll try tonight if I get the time, it is very stuck 2lb hammer and more than one 2X4 stuck. I've also heated and let soak, I'm thinking air hammer and heat may do the trick but I'll have to do that at my brothers shop. I was able to get the rim/hub assembly out by removing the nuts off the studs on the right side then backing the axle out and wiggling everything free.

Air hammer sounds like a "bad idea", just "let it soak" and "be patient".

Rubber blow hammer ought to do the trick, we've all been there.

Michael

Still letting it soak/haven't got to it, I will replace the bearings and I destroyed the seal trying to get the axle out so I'll need one of those as well. I'm not sure where to get the seal, any ideas? I was thinking honda?

Success!

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

1 use punch to break bearing cage

2 remove cage with needle nose pliers

3 push ball bearings to one side

4 push axle to side with no ball bearings and use magnet to remove ball bearings

5 pound out axle

6 use grinder with Zip disk to cut inner race off axle X2

*Use caution and as little force as necessary