Sign in to follow this  

Just a quicky about the KYB's.

Just curious as to what would/will happen if you blew out your fork seals on the kyb's? Would the front bottom out fully and instantly? Or not? Might seem silly but I got it stuck in my head last night that what if I was hitting a fmx ramp or any other jump and the seals blew on the take off? All I keep picturing in my head is the start of an unwanted front flip because of it. Has me really paranoid now. 

You lose oil first , go buy 250f spring forks if thats what you want . I had a seal tear and the oil justs sprays out . The lip just broke off (defective) rode fine except it soaked the front brake . They dont dump the oil out instantly like you think.

• Like 1

You lose oil first , go buy 250f spring forks if thats what you want . I had a seal tear and the oil justs sprays out . The lip just broke off (defective) rode fine except it soaked the front brake . They dont dump the oil out instantly like you think.

Ok so its not an instant endo, good to know. I dont want to change out forks, I like these but was just needing to know. 

Just curious as to what would/will happen if you blew out your fork seals on the kyb's? Would the front bottom out fully and instantly? Or not? Might seem silly but I got it stuck in my head last night that what if I was hitting a fmx ramp or any other jump and the seals blew on the take off? All I keep picturing in my head is the start of an unwanted front flip because of it. Has me really paranoid now.

I lost my seals yesterday toward the end of a race. What I found was kind of weird is they both went. The left one was really bad and had zero air in it and the right one was down to about 10psi when the race was over. The forks were almost completely collapsed by the time I got back to camp. Some SKF seals and and some seal savers are in order and should be here tomorrow. These forks seem to be a little more intolerant to mud and dirt than conventional forks. Edited by memphis2857
  • Like 1

wasn't oil everywhere,spring fork you would lost seals as well .

I would guess he was racing a newer CRF with airforks.

In spring forks, they only carry about 300-350 CB's of oil.

Edited by Rich_Bing

I lost my seals yesterday toward the end of a race. What I found was kind of weird is they both went. The left one was really bad and had zero air in it and the right one was down to about 10psi when the race was over. The forks were almost completely collapsed by the time I got back to camp. Some KYB seals and and some seal savers are in order and should be here tomorrow. These forks seem to be a little more intolerant to mud and dirt than conventional forks.

I'll get some seal savers also just to help. What had me worried was thinking that if I lost a seal or both that it would be instant. Knowing now that it isnt instant makes me cool with these forks, Ive liked them real well so far. 

wasn't oil everywhere,spring fork you would lost seals as well .

It was quite messy. Especially the right side. The left one wasn't nearly as bad. Just for shits and giggles I went out and ran a seal buddy through it and got it to quit leaking, right side is toast. I will replace both and carry on.