Sign in to follow this  

most violent power bands, vintage and modern

My 13 and 14 KTM's pull hard, but I have the soft exhaust spring on the valve.  I comes on early, and you really don't notice it.

My 06 CR had a decent hit.

I rode a freinds older, maybe 2000 ish RM.  It hit hard and was unrideable.  But I had just started riding dirt bikes, so they all scared me.

But then I rode another freinds KX500.  It hit hard, but it was short lived.  If it had of pulled any longer, I probably would've pulled off a superb superman.

Oh, and my CR 134 was a gutless wonder, but it was fast as long as you didn't try to drag race out of corners. 

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
  • Like 1

1982 YZ 490 (with the boost bottle)

4speeds and would gladly flip in any gear at any speed,,, just gas her an it'd hit the band and up she comes hard...

owned it for about 18 years I guess...

EVERY SINGLE person who I let ride that bike flipped it...

it commanded respect...

read these guys (amusing) reviews of the bike...

Edited by THUMPERRRR
  • Like 5

Two other bikes I had a chance to mount up and ride:

Maico 490

CZ 250

Both bikes lit up fairly good, but I was suprised at how long they pulled; and they both cornered very well.  Brakes lol, who needs brakes.

The 490 I couldn't start.  MY big buddy had to start it for me.  I couldn't touch the ground either.  Darn near had a yard sale just tryng to take off.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
  • Like 2

You want to experience a real bad power band, ride any mid 1960's 2S. By 1970, thy were relative &%$#@! cats. Though some of the big bore 360's and up) in the 70's were still capable of catching off guard. But nothing like the early 2S

• Like 2

my first bike, a 1982 yz60. Pre peewee bikes, so a mini race bike, just what every 5-6 year old should be learning on. The thing was so scary i almost quit. Clutch, the peakiest and hardest hitting power of anything I've ridden (next being a very modded 02-ish cr250). My most vivid child hood memory is my first time riding that bike in a sand wash. Turning onto a small sandy incline to get out at the end of the wash I hit the power band. In the fattest whiskey throttle of my life my too large heavy helmet being jerked back, forward and side to side. What I could see was a little bit between my askew goggles and under the chin bar of my helmet. Completely out of control, i keep doing 180's that result in me being perpendicular to the way i want to go up the hill, but i some how serpentine my way up, completely off the trail, i could see bushes passing me on both sides with no vision in front of me. Those were the days.......

• Like 4

My kids 08 ktm 50 sx , the power is either on or off

That's funny my son has I yz 85 and that's how it feels to me. Maybe since he doesn't weigh much it feels different to him .

• Like 1

probably my 03 cr85rb (sold) that had a bunch of mods and no powervalve

Don't have much to compare it to as far as powerful bikes but it was much more of a handful than the yz450f and 91 cr250 I've rode

• Like 2

My '98 RM125 is like a light switch. It was ported for top end, and I have suspicions that the powervalve is adjusted to hit really hard, but I don't want to mess with that.

When I had my fatty on it was ridiculous, it hits much harder than any of my friends bikes (yz125, cr125, yz85).

• Like 1

Agree with the yz80 cr80 above

Nasty lil buggers. They'll spin with a kid on board but hook with an adult.

The GP 500 race motors had to be the worst. Awesome to watch but rough on the riders. Their dyno graphs tell a story of rude power.

• Like 2

My cousin had a fully modded/ported kx500. His brother and I were much lighter and could pull him easily at the dunes on milder cr500s.

His bike was amazing, definitely faster than mine. He couldn't leave good enough alone. He had the power valve welded in and more porting done.

The end result was a potent peaky violent power band.

The bike was almost unrideable it was like riding a peaky 80 or 125 with a hit that would rip your arms off. The biggest problem was the peak was so narrow you had to shift it constantly or it would fall on its face.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, big bore 2 strokes (350 and up) dont really hit hard and snappy, but hit with a reasonable punch and just pull forever and over everything. I had been riding my 2000 rmx250 for around 2 years and thought that was peaky, but then I hopped on my brothers kx85 and almost crapped myself, the powerband was insane! But the one bike that takes the cake and the one I wished I bought and kept was a 1989 yz 80, my favourite bike of all time and the hardest hitting machine of all bikes without a doubt.

• Like 1

The 2 peakiest dirt bikes I've ridden:

KX65 (the peakiest I've ever ridden... ever)

Cr85

The next from there is my RGV250, its quite peaky for a PV equipped engine. It feels like it goes from 20hp to 55hp in a 800 rpm window.

• Like 3