Sign in to follow this  

installing manual cam chain tensioner

Hi all, 

After shimming my valves throughout the summer, Ive finally removed the head today, valve seats being cut and SS valves going in. (2004 250x)

Ive ordered a manual cam chain tensioner to put in at the same time, I have no reason to think the auto one is playing up, or about to fail, but read multiple times a manual one is the way to go (correct me if Im wrong and Ill leave it as it is)

Whats the process for changing out the tensioner?

Currently the tensioner has been slackened off and a screw driver / grips is holding it in place, but Im not sure If I should just release the screwdriver and take it out now, or wait until the head is back on and the actual process?

Another question, whilst lifting the head off, one of the chain guides has lifted out, (the front one) is it obvious where its supposed to sit when I put it all together again?

Thanks

Whether you put a manual tensioner on or put a new original type on is personal preference. Alot of guys dont want to have to check and adjust the manual tensioner and dont see any real advantage to it so they just replace the tensioner with a new OEM type. I prefer the manual tensioner and have been running one for a few years on our 250X.

Changing out the tensioner is easy, you just unbolt the original and remove it. Since you have the head off there is no tension on anything now.

Installing either one is where you need to do it right or there could be problems. A new manual one should come with directions so probably no need to go into detail about that.

When you install a new OEM type be sure to retract it before bolting it on because otherwise it will put way to much pressure on the timing chain if you dont retract it first.

The front chain guide needs to be installed correctly with the bottom of it setting into to the slot or pocket near the crankshaft, and there is a horizontal locating dowel a few inches from the top of the guide that sets into a slot in the top of the cylinder, which is under the head gasket. So two places on that guide that need to be in place before the head gasket goes on.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1